P r i m a ry D u t i e s
1. The Automation Engineer I will help improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the Automation Engineering Group by contributing towards infrastructure and system improvements and cross-functional business processes. The candidate should have a mindset of knowledge sharing and be able to troubleshoot and resolve complex problems within Automation Systems.
2. The candidate's primary role is the support of Manufacturing and Operations. Providing tactical support and the ability to troubleshoot day to day issues will be expected, as well as providing well thought out solutions.
3. The candidate will also assist in various stages of the engineering project lifecycle from conceptual design, detailed design, specification, implementation, commissioning, trouble-shooting, and continuous improvement of automation and instrumentation for biopharmaceutical production and supporting utility systems. This will include estimating resource requirements for projects and tactical support issues and identifying bottlenecks or constraints.
4. Candidate will liaise between Manufacturing and Facility clients and external engineering and vendor resources in the conceptual design, detailed design, specification, procurement, construction, and commissioning of automation systems for cGMP production facilities. Candidate will assist in continuous improvement projects and support the automation portion of cross-functional capital projects.
5. Candidate will provide ad-hoc updates as needed to address urgent and critical issues, and provide progress reports to department engineers and management.
6. The candidate will collaborate with functional and discipline peers to develop solutions to issues that are immediately impacting business needs. Will use subject matter expertise to create innovative solutions. Tactical support of operations will be the main functional role. Identifying and rectifying issues and working with Plant Engineering, Facilities, Manufacturing and IT will be a key component. Candidate must be able to adapt quickly to change by refocusing efforts and adjusting priorities. Mu s t b e a b l e t o w o rk i n a f a s t- pa c e d m ulti - di sci p l ina r y en v i r on m ent.
Manufacturing and Operational Support & Troubleshooting
Automation Project Design, Risk Assessment & Execution
Education & Experience Requirements:
Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Engineering Sciences or Computer Sciences with appropriate industrial controls experience. Basic understanding of instrumentation configuration, programming, and design in a cGMP environment. Rudimentary knowledge of systems such as Allen Bradley PLC platforms, Schneider Electric, Johnson Controls, Amega or DeltaV, SCADA systems, PI Historian, Siemens PLC S7, iFix, iHistorian, Industrial Ethernet networks, Profibus and AS-I networks. Exposure to batch and continuous processes found in the pharmaceutical and Biotech Industries is preferred. Experience with S88 and ASTM 2500 principals would be an advantage.
A little about us:
At Shire, we help people with rare diseases and specialized conditions live their lives to the fullest.