The primary role of the Automation Expert is to provide high end, complex and effective automation and controls support to plant operations. The ability to perform work safely, meet the needs of Operations, execute the maintenance program and comply with all safety codes is paramount. The Automation Expert must identify, troubleshoot and repair problems in all areas of electrical, Automation, Networks, Process, Instrumentation and Controls systems that occur in the facility. He/she must be able to troubleshoot, pin point problems, and remediate all problems. He/she also performs preventive maintenance and calibration of plant controls systems and instrumentation. Responsibilities and Duties:
- Understands how to read and translate the information found within all: PLC code, Schematic wiring, Ladder and P&ID process diagrams.
- Expert skills with PLC, HMI, VFD's, Servo, Sensors, Instrumentation and industrial control systems, including advanced programming techniques and configurations.
- Install electrical components and wiring systems. After installing equipment, tests to ensure all devices are working properly and safely.
- Possess knowledge and apply electrical standards, including National Electrical Code and UL508a.
- Possess knowledge and apply safe electrical work practices including LOTO and Arc Flash safety - NFPA 70e.
- Master troubleshooting of Industrial Networks, including Ethernet, DeviceNET, ControlNET, and others.
- Observes and test the operation systems and equipment in order to diagnose malfunctions, using voltmeters, process meters, network analyzers and other testing devices.
- Provide effective advanced trouble shooting support, following best practices for safety and fault isolation.
- Communicates effectively and instruct management, engineers, mechanics, and equipment operators. Demonstrates equipment functions and features to machine operators.
- Must have working proficiency of data networks, switches, routers and servers.
- Record parts and materials used, and order or requisition new parts and materials as necessary using CMMS system.
- Capture description and procedures used for troubleshooting and repairs performed in CMMS.
- Perform troubleshooting and repairs or modifications with minimal manufactures specifications and documentation.
- Executes the maintenance work schedule as provided by his/her supervisor. Proper execution of the work schedule will require strategic decisions to ensure the scheduled work will be completed within the period scheduled. This effort requires the Lead to be aware of CIP, sanitation and other periods of downtime.
- Continuously maintains state of the art proficiency in Automation and controls systems.
- Examines jobs to be done and determine scope and best way to accomplish the work. Consults with requester, maintenance planner, and/or Supervisor when necessary.
- Obtains, drawings, instructional manuals and special procedures, as needed, from files or other sources. Makes any additional sketches, diagrams, etc., necessary.
- Obtains or ensure work order materials are on-hand to support the work order schedule.
- Ensures the safety needs are given a top priority in operations support and work execution. Some examples are Arc Flash/Shock Hazard safety, confined space entry, LOTO, Line Break Permit, hazardous materials, hand tool safe use, etc.
- Updates the computerized maintenance management system (CMMS) as necessary to maintain accurate plant asset historical records.
- Gains complete knowledge of plant's processes and packaging systems.
- Adheres to common Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs) in the execution of the work schedule and operational support. Ensure the shop is maintained in a safe and orderly fashion.
- Enforces plant polices in the execution of their assigned duties. Report violations of plant polices to the Management.
- Protects the integrity and quality of product at all times.
- Attends meetings and support continuous improvement initiatives.
- Recommends equipment to be included in preventive maintenance programs.
- Suggests improvements to all maintenance processes, including planning scheduling, preventive maintenance, corrective maintenance, CMMS, storeroom operations, etc.
- Promotes the conservation of energy.
- Makes recommendations for system improvement.
- Possesses an understanding of calibration procedures for process instruments, which measure temperature, pressure, flow, level and composition, along with an understanding of process controls and troubleshooting.
- Performs other tasks and special assignments as requested by management.
Minimum Job Requirements:
(Minimum qualifications needed to perform essential job functions) :
- Meet all basic plant employment criteria, to include a good attendance record.
- Achieve a passing score on the Maintenance Automation Technician test.
- Must supply own tools per the Maintenance required tool list.
- 10 years of Engineering / Integration / Maintenance background, which includes PLC's, HMI's , Servos, VFD's, electrical, hydraulics, controls, and pneumatics.
- Able to read one-line diagrams, P&ID, blueprints and schematics.
- Must be certified on the training plan for this position within 180 days of start date.
- Able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work on multiple levels, such as catwalks, ladders, etc. and ability to work in extreme temperatures.
- Manual and finger dexterity.
- Ability to visually identify defective parts.
- Is not color-blind.
- Ability to hear machine operations sounds to detect defective parts, machine failures, and changes in speed and other routine running conditions.
- Must have strong problem solving skills and the ability to work efficiently under stressful situations.
- Must be able to work flexible shift schedules up to 12-hour shifts as determined by business need.
- Must be able to use a computer and associated software programs.
- Perform all tasks in a safe manner to ensure achievement of Quality, Service and Cost objectives.
- DRIVE INNOVATION: Generate new or unique solutions and embrace new ideas that help sustain our business
- COLLABORATE WITH SYSTEM, CUSTOMERS, AND OTHER STAKEHOLDERS: Develop and leverage relationships with stakeholders to appropriately stretch and impact the System (Company and Bottler)
- ACT LIKE AN OWNER: Deliver results, creating value for our brands, our System, our customers and key stakeholders
- INSPIRE OTHERS: Inspire people to deliver our mission and 2020 Vision, demonstrate passion for the business and give people a reason to believe anything is possible
- DEVELOP SELF AND OTHERS: Develop self and support others' development to achieve full potential
Honesty and integrity have always been cornerstone values of The Coca-Cola Company. Our passion for people of integrity mirrors our spirited drive for total quality in our brands. These and other elements allow the company to sustain strategic practices and drive business performance. The Personnel Integrity Assurance Program is another step toward making The Coca-Cola Company the premier workplace. This process includes a pre-employment background investigation that applies to all applicants, employees, and contractors of the company. The scope of this inquiry may cover such elements as education, employment history, a criminal history check, reference checks, and a pre-employment drug screen. Designated countries or sensitive positions within the company may have more stringent standards.
At The Coca-Cola Company you can cultivate your career in a challenging and dynamic environment. We are the largest manufacturer and distributor of nonalcoholic drinks in the world-selling more than 1 billion drinks a day. Unlock your full potential with a future-focused company that is known and respected throughout the world.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Back to top
A little about us:
Coca-Cola’s success would not be possible without the world’s best employees. We invite you to challenge yourself, join us and prosper.