At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $30 billion in sales, our 90,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
3M has a long-standing reputation as a company committed to innovation. We provide the freedom to explore and encourage curiosity and creativity. We gain new insight from diverse thinking, and take risks on new ideas.
Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.Job Description:3M is seeking an Automotive Application Engineer/Technologist for the Automotive Division located in Livonia, Michigan. At 3M, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter. Here, you go.Job Summary:
The person hired for the position of Automotive Application Engineer/Technologist will provide application support to automotive OEM's (Original Equipment Manufacturer) and related tier suppliers. The focus for this position would be attachment and assembly solutions for various components and substrates on the vehicle. Due to the local travel for this opportunity, a company vehicle is provided.Primary Responsibilities
include but are not limited to the following:
- Providing Application Engineering support to Automotive OEMs and related tier suppliers for the Attachment, Structures, and Composites businesses.
- Identifying the best 3M solution for an application through testing and analyzing the results. Communicate results to customers through written reports.
- Developing new applications by determining key performance requirements, participating in part design reviews, and training our customers on the proper use of 3M products.
- Providing launch support for new programs by working with OEM & Tier launch teams, reviewing the process and providing training to operators as necessary.
- Troubleshooting applications with issues by working with the OEM & Tier to identify the root cause & implement solutions.
- Defining and developing new product and/or new application opportunities.
- Providing "voice of customer" and new product ideas to St. Paul Lab and Marketing.
- Work closely with new product development team on the launch of new 3M products.
- Sharing key learnings, train, and support 3M global organization.
- Willingness to be on-call.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma/GED or higher from an accredited institution
- Minimum of two (2) combined years of experience working with automotive industry suppliers and/or OEM's
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry or Mechanical Engineering from an accredited university
- Three (3) years of experience in the automotive industry as an Application/Technical Service Engineer
- Experience in technical support activities with customers
- Experience in working with tape or adhesive products
- Experience in part design, development and validation
- Experience with body in white (BIW) design/development
- Strong problem solving/troubleshooting skills
- Excellent communication and presentation skills (verbal and written)
- Strong people skills and ability to work with cross-functional team
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and accommodate changing circumstances
- Proven leadership skills
- Ability to work with conflicting, delayed or ambiguous information
: Livonia, MichiganTravel:
May include up to 25% - mostly local/domestic - company vehicle providedRelocation:
Learn more about 3M's creative solutions to the world's problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M or @3MNewsroom.
Please access the linked document by clicking here , select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.
A little about us:
Innovation is a way of life at 3M. We solve problems by applying creativity, team work and ingenuity to improve life for millions of people worldwide.