AVP, Financial Planning & Analysis, Personal Lines
Company: The Hartford
Location: Hartford, Connecticut
Posted: December 13, 2017
Reference ID: 1703191
The Assistant Vice President of FP&A for Personal Lines will report directly to the Chief Financial Officer of Personal Lines, and act as a strategic partner and trusted advisor. The AVP of FP&A, Personal Lines, will play a key role in the operation of Personal Lines working directly with the CFO and the Personal Lines business team. This role will work closely with the segment CFO and Personal Lines leadership to develop a financial and operating plan that is fully integrated and aligned with the company's strategic objectives. Critical to success is a deep understanding of the Personal Lines strategy, operations, initiatives, business drivers, and environmental factors that impact the business' financials.
• Analyze, monitor, measure and effectively report Personal Lines business results; responsible for the accuracy, timeliness, and relevance of financial and management reporting.
• Working with the CFO and Personal Lines leadership, develop financial outlooks, operating plans, and other financial analyses to support the segment's operations and strategy.
• Drive continuous improvement in management reporting, metrics, and forecasting.
• Provides input and counsel to the CFO regarding risks and opportunities, and serves as a critical voice in helping the CFO shape the financial strategy and vision for the organization.
• Ability to step-in and backfill CFO responsibilities when needed.
• Support line of business leaders, including monthly detailed analysis of financial results.
• Advise and assist business leaders, evaluating and assisting with financial plans and models (e.g. expanded definition).
• Ensure the adequacy of controls, including financial planning and forecasting, financial analysis, and provision of appropriate controls and reports, as well as accounting.
• Support broader Finance activities and initiatives, including Harvest, SEC reporting, expense management, and capital planning. Serve as the primary point of contact for Expense COE staff.
• Develop strong working relationships throughout Personal Lines and the broader HIG enterprise, and be a valuable contributor in the development and execution of the overall strategy of Personal Lines and The Hartford.
• The successful candidate will have a strong record of accomplishment as a finance leader in the financial services industry with a minimum of 15 years of progressive experience. Property and Casualty insurance industry experience is strongly preferred.
• The candidate must have expertise in regulatory and financial reporting activities, a strong knowledge of U.S. GAAP and STAT accounting.
• An undergraduate degree in finance or accounting is required and a CPA or MBA is a plus.
• Excellent communication and presentation skills and must be comfortable and confident in frequently interacting with senior leaders on a variety of complex business and financial issues.
• Highly motivated and inquisitive, accepting of a great deal of accountability and able to work in a team environment.
• Strong proficiency in both Excel and PowerPoint.
• Excellent leadership skills; an experienced and engaged manager of people.
Behaviors at the Hartford:
• Deliver Outcomes. Demonstrates accountability and a clear bias for action that drives exceptional performance. Thinks like an owner and makes/advocates for decisions that move Personal Lines forward. Accountable for the team and the business' successes and failures. Understands and anticipates customer needs - creatively develops value-added solutions. Perseveres and overcomes challenges to deliver results.
• Work as a Team. Respects teammates and works inclusively to achieve optimal results. Values, promotes and rewards performance achieved through teamwork and collaboration. Positively influences and inspires others beyond the Personal Lines Finance team. Gives and receives constructive and candid feedback on performance. Works inclusively, respects individual differences and inspires others beyond one's team to do same. Helps team members meet their goals. Demonstrates awareness of how his/her actions and interactions impact others. Listens effectively and remains open to other's ideas. Translates functional and business vision and strategy for team members into actionable goals and objectives (make complex problems simply understood.) Promotes diversity of background and personal style
• Build Strong Partnerships. Forges trusted relationships and delivers customer value with integrity. Builds Personal Lines and Finance partnerships as well as external relationships. Understands and supports each area to achieve overall business success. Supports others to build strong working relationships.
• Strive for Excellence. Continuously improve to reach the highest standards and inspire others to do the same. Thinks strategically and develops recommendations/proposals to improve financial performance. Actively seeks opportunities to learn and grow professionally, i.e. become a "student of the business". Continuously seeks feedback and leverages it to improve performance. Challenges the status quo to identify ways to do things more effectively and encourages others to do the same. Demonstrates the courage to stand alone on ideas and opinions which may differ from others including senior leaders. Effectively leads change and manages teammates' resistance.
The Hartford is an equal employment and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, ancestry or citizenship status, genetic information, pregnancy status or any other characteristic protected by law. The Hartford maintains a drug-free workplace and is committed to building inclusion and leveraging diversity.