Position: AVP, Global Strategy
Job Location: New York, NY
: The AVP of Global Strategy will work with the group leadership and senior leaders at MetLife to identify refresh and execute strategy projects at the enterprise level. As a valued contributor, this individual will spend a significant portion of time producing, analyzing and synthesizing information from around the globe. Will be responsible for drafting clear and concise communication materials meant for the senior leadership of the enterprise. Will lead and participate in numerous team development activities (e.g., peer to peer coaching, mentoring, etc.) to improve capabilities and encourage collaboration across the globe. Will gain invaluable experience working across functions and businesses while engaging with executive and senior level MetLife leaders across the globe.
- Drive and optimize successful execution of MetLife’s refreshed strategy, through identification and implementation of strategic opportunities in partnership with business units and corporate functions globally.
- Demonstrate analytical approach to solving problems by breaking down the question, managing data and organizing facts into clear analysis to build assumptions and facilitate the development of feasibility studies, benchmark comparisons, and performance analyses.
- Work with senior leadership globally to develop metrics and reports that support business objectives and results.
- Create communications related to strategic plans and developing initiatives to disseminate information to all business partners.
- Assist with the development of highly illustrative/detailed documents/presentations.
- Work with associates from across the enterprise on various strategy related projects. Influence and negotiate without formal direct authority, consultative and collaborative in approach.
- Experience in executing strategy initiatives, creating business cases, initiative planning and project management.
- Knowledge of the markets, competitors, industry trends, products and distribution methods, with a focus on high priority markets.
- Ability to support business initiative while working with senior executives and other stakeholders to deliver comprehensive and insightful strategy analyses used to produce recommendations aligned with Global Strategy
- Lead and work on cross-functional teams globally raising ideas/issues that may impact the Global Strategy. Escalate and put forward recommendations to senior leaders that will have the greatest impact on the company.
- 4+ years of strategy experience with either a top tier consulting firm or a complex organization
- BS or equivalent from a top ranked institution; higher degree MBA/MS a big plus
- Demonstrate distinctive problem solving and analytical skills (micro- and macroeconomics, finance and advanced modeling skills)
- Experience in driving to synthesis and developing recommendations; high degree of comfort with ambiguity
- Show business maturity, have strong presence and possess advanced written and verbal communication skills
- Prior experience in projects that require detailed execution
- Exhibit strong collaboration skills and ability to engage across multiple functions and business units
- Be a self-starter, with the ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Prior insurance or retail financial services experience is a plus but not mandatory
- Ability to manage consensus at various levels and cultivate strategic internal relationships across a highly matrix-ed organization.
- Strategic thinker with strong execution capabilities
- Ability to influence and negotiate without formal direct authority, consultative in approach; diplomatic.
- Strong team builder, inclusive by nature.
- Experience in client-side and supplier-side market intelligence and competitor intelligence
- Organized and detail oriented with the ability to handle multiple priorities
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally
- Flexibility to accommodate working across global time zones.
- Foreign language skills a positive
- Thinks Strategically - Sets direction aligned to the company’s strategy, applying external and global perspective to meet local and global needs.
- Motivates People - Gains people commitment to achieve business objectives through clear communication of the company’s vision and flexing leadership styles to inspire high performance.
- Creates Partnerships - Authentically builds trusted relationships and collaborates across global, diverse and multi-functional teams to successfully drive business objectives.
- Seizes Opportunity - Seeks new opportunities and ways to create balanced business growth while improving operational capabilities.
- Models our Values - Creates a culture that promotes the company’s values and standards through role modeling, accountability and ownership of decisions.
- Focuses on Customers - Promotes customer centricity and ensures focus on creating great customer experiences to achieve competitive advantage.
- Drives Results - Sets aggressive goals and is accountable for continuously driving improved performance, leading change and ensuring high standards.
- Reports to: Vice President in Global Strategy
- Direct reports/team: 1
- Key Stakeholders: CEO, Global Strategy SLT, Executive Group members, Regional Leaders and local country managers.
MetLife, through our subsidiaries and affiliates, is one of the largest life insurance companies in the world. Founded in 1868, we are a global provider of life insurance, annuities, employee benefits and asset management. Our employees serve approximately 100 million customers, individuals and businesses, including over 90 of the FORTUNE 100®.
We are ranked #40 on the Fortune 500 list and #48 on the Forbes Global 500 list. We have operations in nearly 50 countries, and hold leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East. We are also one of the largest institutional investors in the U.S. with an over $500 billion general account portfolio as of December 31, 2015.
In 2015, FORTUNE Magazine’s World’s Most Admired Company survey named us #1 in the Life and Health Insurance industry. In 2016, we were named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) for the first time. DJSI is a global index to track the leading sustainability-driven companies.
While we have tremendous respect for the past, we are a company firmly focused on the future. To adapt to a changing world, we are undergoing one of the most dramatic transformations in our history to reinvent how we do business so we can thrive in any environment. We are moving away from a traditional product-development model to one driven by customer insights. We are challenging historical norms by humanizing our industry and designing every customer experience to reflect the modern company we’re becoming. Our goal in everything we do is to offer customers truly differentiated value propositions that allow us to establish clear competitive advantages. We pride ourselves on being a trusted partner to our customers as they navigate life’s twists and turns.
At the center of our business strategy is a commitment to One MetLife – collaborating, sharing best practices, and recruiting, developing and retaining the best talent in the industry. We live by our values: Put Customers First, Be the Best, Make Things Easier, and Succeed Together. They guide how we operate every day.
MetLife is a proud equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to attracting, retaining, and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is MetLife's policy to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, martial or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.