Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The AVP US Medical Therapeutic Area (TA) Strategy leads their teams in the development of the US Medical Affairs Plans for multiple franchises. They partner with the AVP US Field Medical Teams and the Executive Directors (ED) US Field Medical as well as with GMSO, GMI, MRL TA Heads in CORE, Clinical Development and Scientific Affairs to define US franchise strategies and US development plans for their assets. They significantly contribute to Merck's End-to-End Life Cycle Management decisions pertaining the US market. They collaborate with GMSO and responsible research groups in MRL on developing the US strategy for integrated data generation plans spanning MRL programs, outcomes research, post-registration company-sponsored studies and areas of interest for the investigator-initiated study program. They lead expert input seeking programs for their franchise(s) in the US (advisory boards and expert input forums) so that Merck remains on the leading edge of therapeutic and patient care advances. They lead medical affairs activities to resolve safety, regulatory, reputational, ethical, and other asset management issues. AVP The AVP US Medical TA Strategy manages teams of Medical Affairs Strategy Leads (MASLs) and also, dot-line the ED US Field Medical for the respective TAs. The AVP US Medical TA strategy is the principal strategic Medical Affairs partner for the US GHH Brand Leaders and US GHH senior leadership.
Asset Management & Business Leadership
- Lead both the strategy and the field teams in the development of US Medical Goals and Strategies that address asset value proposition, insights from US field staff and the US affiliate, and clinical and value evidence gaps.
- In innovative ways, lead or champion the translation of these Goals and Strategies into research, data analysis, scientific communication, educational , and other tactics and solutions that improve patient outcomes and enhance access in US
- Collaborate with US brand and senior GHH leadership to inform US brand strategies and overarching US affiliate strategies by proactively and substantially providing market level insights on the science, the clinical, payer and other environmental factors
- Lead annual medical affairs & long range planning for their TAs- work with GMSO, US Brand teams and MRL to define US franchise strategies and development plans for their assets. Right-size asset tactical plans to life-cycle stage. Significantly influence Merck's End-to-End Life Cycle Management decisions
- Execute on and quickly adapt portfolio of tactics to business realities (ie prompt deployment of new information to field medical staff, identify data analysis needs, and publication needs)
- Lead integrated data generation plans , and co-develop clinical and outcomes research programs with cross-functional MRL and Observational Research colleagues that address life cycle management needs. Advise on areas of interest for the Investigator-Initiated Study Program.
- Lead medical affairs coordination with Alliance partners in US
Scientific & technical Leadership
- Communicates both scientific and business needs credibly and effectively across a variety of internal and external stakeholders at all levels
- Define US priorities for Merck Investigator-Initiated Study Program
- Demonstrates influence in external scientific community be it through peer-to-peer interactions, research and educational collaborations, publications, or other
- Lead expert input seeking programs for their TAs in US (advisory boards and expert input forums)
- Participate in and contribute significantly to internal or external trade, professional organizations, academic or regulatory working teams
Asset Regulatory Management
- Successfully collaborate and lead resolution of Safety, Regulatory, Reputational (ie Public Relations), Compliance and other Asset issues management
- Lead their team in substantive contributions to labeling committees, so that labels contain fair-balanced claims supported by data and supportive of asset value proposition requirements for most geographies
Talent Management & Development
- Model and manage for inclusive and collaborative leadership cross-functionally in Global Medical Affairs Teams, US/Regional Medical Affairs Teams and day-to-day work
- Manage US MASLs and dot-line manage ED US Field Medical for their TAs
- Lead talent review process and demonstrate follow through on Development Plans for Key Talent
- Create action plans to ensure healthy succession pools for leadership positions within the team and Global Medical Affairs
- Manage diverse talent and teams
- Manage employees with a variety of performance records and capabilities
- Serve as a mentor in Global Medical Affairs, not just within the geography or team
- MD is required; recognized scientific expertise through > 8 years clinical, pharmaceutical and/or research experience (incl publications) in one of the therapy areas covered
- 8 years pharmaceutical (or related) industry experience in the US or global arena with proven track record of contribution to medical, clinical development or commercial strategies (in more than one therapy area is preferred)
- Strategic thinking, specifically related to the development of Medical Affairs Goals and Strategies that address asset value proposition, insights from affiliates and regions, and clinical and value evidence.
- Customer expertise especially scientific leadership and other key stakeholders (public groups, government officials, medical professional organizations) in therapy areas
- Proven ability to effectively influence company end-to-end life cycle management, data generation and evidence communication decisions
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical, communication (written as well as oral) and results oriented project management skills.
- Strong judgment, prioritization and decision-making skills with the ability to understand how decisions fit into the broader context of corporate strategies
- Demonstrated ability to motivate, mentor, manage and provide clear, unambiguous expectations and priorities for the team - of own staff or through networks. Comfort and confidence in working with diverse teams and backgrounds
- In a matrix environment, able to effectively collaborate with and influence partners across divisions; can collaborate with others to resolve conflicts across organizations.
- Travel = 30%
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com. Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement