Additional Location(s) or Information:
Job Category: Engineer - Software
Level of Experience: Experienced - Non Manager
Requisition #: R1017322
What You'll Do
In this highly visible role as a Backend Software Developer reporting to the DevNet App team you will play an instrumental role in transforming our developer platform into a modern cloud platform.
In this role you will design and develop backend REST web services, messaging and configuration automation features for the DevNet Cloud platform.
Who You'll Work With
The DevNet Apps team is comprised of 60+ employees who work in a start-up like environment with the purpose of designing, implementing, and empowering a Data Developer Platform & Analytics echo system for the fast growing DevNet Community of 300,000 registered worldwide developers. Collaborate as part of a disruptive software engineering team that is passionate about transforming the world
What's DevNet all about?
We're all about providing developers with the tools, the resources, and the code you need to build innovative, network-enabled solutions. Whether you're automating network management or hooking up a zillion devices in an IoT app, DevNet aims to get your questions answered so you can keep your project moving.
Who You Are
You are an experienced Software Engineer with strong backed Java/Python development experience and a passion for cloud computing and working with open source technologies.
The minimum requirements for this role are the following;
• Bachelors Degree in CS/EE or equivalent in addition to 3-5 years of distributed software development or cloud computing experience
• Very strong in at least one major programming language (Java/C++/Python)
• Experience with developing REST-based services
• Hands-on experience with micro-service architectures and frameworks
• Experience with designing services using message queues (RabbitMQ/ZeroMQ)
• Experience with containers and container orchestration (Dockers, Kubernettes, Swamp, Mesos/Marathon)
• Experience with designing services using in-memory cache (redis/memcache)
• Experience with designing software that uses cloud-friendly datastores (MongoDB/Cassandra/Redshift/RDS)
• Experience with designing software that uses complex database operations (Oracle/MySQL/Postgres)
• Fairly strong experience scripting (bash/python/ruby)
• Experience with using unit tests to verify functionality
• Experience in a DevOps model where development and operations have a close collaboration
• Very strong experience in modern distributed source code management tools (Git/GitHub)
• Experience in using open source libraries and code
• Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills
• Experience with deploying and operating software solutions into cloud environments such as AWS/Rackspace/Heroku, Automation of cloud resources (boto, HEAT, salt-cloud, CloudFormation, TerraForm), Automation of configuration (chef/puppet/salt/ansible).
• Ideal candidate contributes to at least one open source project, and has done major contributions to a project that delivered a complex WebApp cloud service around content management and/or interactive communities
We connect everything: people, processes, data, and things. We innovate everywhere, taking bold risks to shape the technologies that give us smart cities, connected cars, and handheld hospitals. And we do it in style with unique personalities who aren't afraid to change the way the world works, lives, plays and learns.
We are thought leaders, tech geeks, pop culture aficionados, and we even have a few purple haired rock stars. We celebrate the creativity and diversity that fuels our innovation. We are dreamers and we are doers.
We Are Cisco.
Job Type: Experienced
Opportunity Category: Video, Collaboration
A little about us:
We are one, big, techie, employee tribe that changes the world while having fun.