Ben & Jerry Quality Technician
Location: Vermont, United States
Posted: November 04, 2016
Reference ID: 16000HHA
Ben & Jerry's Homemade Inc., started in 1978 in a renovated gas station in Burlington, Vermont, USA, founded by childhood friends and dedicated activists Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield. In 2000 Ben & Jerry’s became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Unilever whilst maintaining an independent Board of Directors to provide leadership focused on preserving and expanding Ben & Jerry's social mission, brand integrity, and product quality. Nowadays our products are distributed in 35 countries in supermarkets, grocery stores, convenience stores, franchise Ben & Jerry’s Scoop Shops, restaurants and other venues.
At Ben & Jerry’s we have an inspiring ambition. We aim to pioneer our ‘linked prosperity business model’ to advance the global movement for social and economic justice while growing our sales to one billion € by 2020. Therefore we are expanding rapidly in Europe as well as in new markets in Asia and Latin America. This translates into a high-paced growth environment where we bring our grassroots and activist spirit every day. That is how we remain a true values-led organization with a connected 3 part mission, which you will find reflected in your goals and aspirations:
Social Mission: To initiate innovative ways to improve the quality of life locally, nationally and internationally
Product Mission: To make and distribute the finest quality all natural and super premium ice-cream and euphoric concoctions
Economic Mission: To operate the Company on a sustainable financial basis of profitable growth.
It takes a variety of people and disciplines to navigate this odyssey. Interested in joining our mission to fill store shelves with our ice cream? Our Vermont Manufacturing team is currently looking for a Quality Technician to support Manufacturing Activities for our site in Waterbury, VT.
Focuses on incoming raw material, in-process and finished product. Performs various analytical lab tests and provides technical support to problem solve quality problems to ensure the production of ice cream complies with GMP, food safety and company specifications.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Perform Microbiological testing on ingredients and finished product
· Perform Analytical testing on ingredients and finished product (Fat, Solids, TA, pH, etc...)
· Perform product cuts up and other organoleptic evaluations of Finished Product
· Perform various quality checks to include: Pint Weights, Code Verifications, Product Volumes, Line Verifications (metal detector checks, tamper band checks, etc...)
· Sample incoming trucks of cream, condensed milk, liquid sugar and eggs
· Take ingredient samples from drums, totes, etc... for analytical and microbiological testing
· Clean and maintain QA Laboratories and related equipment
· Perform environmental testing to include: ATP swabs, Micro Swabs and allergen swabs
· Perform random QA audits and seek resolution to deficiencies
· Prepare media and dilutions for micro testing
· Enter data from lab testing into the computer
· Actively participate and support Quality Improvement project teams
· Contribute to other routine tasks as needed
· Bachelor's degree or relevant experience in lieu of degree; must have high school diploma or equivalent.
· Must have basic knowledge of Laboratory techniques to perform lab tests and use equipment in daily operations.
· Basic knowledge of GMPs to instruct others in their utilization and adherence is required.
· Some work experience in manufacturing and/or Quality Assurance is strongly preferred including basic knowledge of the manufacturing process sufficient to identify the best location to draw test samples, consider the interrelationship of each step in the process when investigating quality concerns.
· Basic knowledge of food safety to participate in the identification and monitoring of critical control points is required.
· Must have the ability to contribute to developing solutions for a wide range of difficult problems.
· Ability to make routine decisions through fact finding and selection is required.
· Must be able to determine work priorities and procedures.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
· Regularly exposed to fumes or airborne particles.
· The noise level is usually very loud.
· Exposure to work on the manufacturing floor including mechanical operations and cleaning solutions.
· Will work around ammonia.
· Some repetitive motion is required.
Unilever offers a competitive compensation package which includes: Medical & Dental Plans, Life Insurance, including eligible spouses, domestic partners & children; Health Care Flexible Spending, Dependent Care, Retirement & Savings Plans, Tuition Reimbursement, Paid Vacation and Holidays.
Please note: as part of the job application, you will be asked to complete pre-screening questions. Completion of the pre-screening questions are mandatory in order to be considered. Please allow yourself plenty of time to complete both the application and pre-screening questions. If the pre-screening questions are partially answered or not at all, it will adversely affect the progress of your application. Please be aware that you will have to complete the pre-screening questions at once as you will be unable to return to it later.
Unilever is an organization committed to diversity and inclusion to drive our business results and create a better future every day for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Persons with Disabilities. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination under Federal law. For more information, please see EEO is the Law.
Employment is subject to verification of pre-employment drug-screening results and background investigation.