Ben & Jerry’s
Ben & Jerry's Homemade Inc., started in 1978 in a renovated gas station in Burlington, Vermont, USA, founded by childhood friends and dedicated activists Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield. In 2000 Ben & Jerry’s became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Unilever whilst maintaining an independent Board of Directors to provide leadership focused on preserving and expanding Ben & Jerry's social mission, brand integrity, and product quality. Nowadays our products are distributed in 35 countries in supermarkets, grocery stores, convenience stores, franchise Ben & Jerry’s Scoop Shops, restaurants and other venues.
At Ben & Jerry’s we have an inspiring ambition. We aim to pioneer our ‘linked prosperity business model’ to advance the global movement for social and economic justice while growing our sales to one billion € by 2020. The model is as simple as it is radical: When the company benefits, all those touched by the company also benefit, including employees, suppliers, customers, and communities. Therefore we are expanding rapidly in Europe as well as in new markets in Asia and Latin America. This translates into a high-paced growth environment where we bring our grassroots and activist spirit every day. That is how we remain a true values-led organisation with a connected 3 part mission, which you will find reflected in your goals and aspirations:
1) Social mission: to initiate innovative ways to improve the quality of life locally, nationally and internationally
2) Product mission: to make and distribute the finest quality all natural and super premium ice-cream and euphoric concoctions
3) Economic mission: to operate the Company on a sustainable financial basis of profitable growth
The digital nature of today’s business has ushered in data from all different directions –creating the opportunity for deeper analytics. The People Data Center is designed to deliver powerful game changing insights and facilitating relationships with fans so that we can continually exceed their expectations. We need to blend social data with consumer contact centre data with CRM data with search data with ratings & reviews data and so much more. This will allow incredible insights and precision marketing. We need people with passion for digital and analytics, who are not afraid to break convention and lead us into new ways of thinking about our business via data.
Our people profile
To support out 3-part mission, Ben & Jerry’s also has an outspoken people-mission. We look for people with these characteristics to strengthen our team:
- Purpose-driven: passion and drive to make a real impact with through our Social Mission
- Empathy: curious to collaborate with a variety of personalities and styles and to build excellent relationships with internal & external stakeholders – this includes cross-functional relationships and striving for collaborative success
- Mastery: continuously learn, grow and develop to contribute to B&Js
- Autonomy: dare to make choices and take ownership
- Activism: interested in bringing about political or social connectivityAbout the role
The Big Data Insight Analyst in PDC will focus on data integration and visualization in a way that enables marketers to act and continually find new ways to exceed the expectations of our fans! The ideal candidate will manage multiple projects and proactively identify appropriate digital consumer datasets (social, search, e-commerce reviews, etc) and first party data (media spend, sales, distribution, etc) to organize a research plan to effectively reach research objectives. Additionally this role will work closely with our Consumer Services and Retail teams to automate real time reporting, track changes and trends within the data to recommend solutions and opportunities, and build out a global reporting database and dashboard. ResponsibilitiesPrimary Responsibilities
- Champions the project pipeline for the Ben & Jerry’s PDC and is responsible for the creative & impactful use of business data to inform key business questions
- Delivery of end to end projects which sees the discovery of insights via the statistical analysis of multiple data sources and advanced analytics, including media insights & commissioned research.
- Works with PDC Manager to determine methods of combining multiple data sets & crafts a compelling story
- Detailed understanding of research methods, digital analytics, and marketing technology with agile project management skills
- Experience writing boolean queries in one or more social listening tools, including Brandwatch, Synthesio, Crimson Hexagon, Netbase, Pulsar, Radian6, or Sysomos.
- Expertise and creativity in data visualization techniques
- Pilot and search for new technologies / methodologies to enhance the research toolkit and explore alternative ways to answer key questions.
- Develop advanced deliverables involving multiple data sources or detailed analysis, including MI & commissioned research – key projects could include (but not limited to):
- Campaign & New Item Tracking
- Competitive Intelligence
- Trend and Foresight Projects
- Consumer Services global database creation
- Automate Real Time Reporting
- Aligning retail scoop shop sales with other data sets to spot opportunities
- Guides and Trains team members to upskills other PDC/CMI/CEC analysts, including occasional review of their output
- Put together robust training curriculum
- Primary delivery responsibility to both Global Categories & assigned regional (market / cluster) brand teams
- Will deliver multiple project simultaneously; time & resource is managed by PDC Manager
- Collaboration with Senior Analyst peers on model development
- Support the Innovation Lead on new service development
- Work with other PDC delivery roles to ensure that all outputs are created to a high standard & consistency
Skills & Experience
Given Ben & Jerry’s unique position within Unilever, the ability to build excellent relationships within both Unilever and Ben & Jerry’s will be essential. We are looking for people who can ultimately leverage the marketing excellence and operational effectiveness that is built by Unilever – while preserving the 3 part mission and community of connectivity within Ben & Jerry’s. Having the right energy and attitude to connect both parts of our organisation will be critical for success.
- Bachelor degree in a related field with quantitative emphasis; Masters degree a preferred
- 3 years of related data insight analytics experience
- Ability to distill large, complex data sets into compelling, data-driven stories and actionable insights
- Experience using data mining tools as well as Business Intelligence (BI) platforms
- Persistence in identifying, quantifying and resolving data discrepancies to ensure high-accuracy reporting
- Experience working with analytical tools
- Experience with social listening tools and writing boolean queries
- Data modelling experience
- Foundational programming / coding skills desirable
- Experience driving business value from consumer insight
- Experience co-ordinating the introduction of a new internal service or capability at a major organisation.
- Passion for the social & digital world and its implications for business
Please note: as part of the job application, you will be asked to complete pre-screening questions. Completion of the pre-screening questions are mandatory in order to be considered. Please allow yourself plenty of time to complete both the application and pre-screening questions. If the pre-screening questions are partially answered or not at all, it will adversely affect the progress of your application. Please be aware that you will have to complete the pre-screening questions at once as you will be unable to return to it later.
Unilever is an organization committed to diversity and inclusion to drive our business results and create a better future every day for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Persons with Disabilities
Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination under Federal law. For more information, please see EEO is the Law .
With more than 400 brands focused on health and wellbeing, no company touches so many people’s lives in so many different ways.