Corporate Global Law & Policy
GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is anEqual Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Posted Position Title
Labor and Employment
Location(s) Where Opening Is Available United States
U.S. State, China or Canada Provinces
The position reports to the Executive Counsel - Retirement in the Corporate Global Law & Policy Group and will work primarily with the legal, tax and HR functions. This position will focus on qualified benefit plans (e.g., pension and 401(k) programs) and welfare benefit plans (e.g., health, disability and life programs). It will also be responsible for providing legal advice on executive compensation arrangements and on-site medical clinics.
The position will be part of a team responsible for dealing with legal issues relating to the Company's qualified and welfare benefit plans. Responsibilities will include the following:
* Provide advice on a broad range of fiduciary matters;
* Provide legal input in developing benefit changes and strategies;
* Provide tax expertise on Section 409A and other benefit matters;
* Provide counsel on benefit plans for acquisitions and dispositions;
* Ensure that the Company complies with all regulatory requirements pertaining to benefit plans (e.g. IRS, HHS, DOL, PBGC and SEC requirements);
* Supervise claims disputes and litigation involving benefit plans or executive compensation arrangements;
* Provide advice on benefit plans as part of the Company's labor negotiation team;
* Provide advice on benefit issues to the Corporate plan administrators and GE affiliates.Other Responsibilities:
* Assist in analyzing pension and benefit law design and compliance issues outside the U.S.;
* Provide advice on Section 125 and COBRA matters;
* Assist in drafting various benefit plan documents and communications;
* Participate in various events and gatherings of the Labor & Employment Law Practice Group
* J.D. with a minimum of six years of full-time legal experience with employee benefit plans;
* Knowledge of tax, ERISA, ACA and other laws applicable to benefit plans and executive compensation arrangements;
* Prior experience conducting legal benefits-related research;
* Prior experience drafting benefit plan provisions and communications.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
* Strong academic background (i.e., high ranking law school; top 20% of class);
* Strong interpersonal skills;
* Strong oral and written communication skills;
* Keen attention to detail;
A little about us:
GE imagination at work.