Big Data Developer
Posted: October 08, 2016
Reference ID: 160013Z3
The Cloud Data Services team is a part of the Oracle Cloud Operations group and has responsibility for developing tools that support the delivery of Oracle Cloud Services, collecting and aggregating Cloud Services data, and internal integrations supporting key business operations.
Brief Position Description
The Cloud Data Services team impacts the Oracle Cloud business by introducing data-driven insights to help understand and improve business operations.
The Big Data Engineer will be responsible for collecting, storing, processing, and analyzing huge sets of data. The primary focus will be on choosing optimal solutions to use for these purposes, then maintaining, implementing, and monitoring them. The candidate will also be responsible for integrating them with the architecture used across the company.
The candidate should be skilled in working as a software engineer, researcher, lead/mentor, and presenter. The candidate should have the proven ability to understand complex operational challenges, design, develop, and test POCs, and communicate solutions and results to Oracle business leaders.
• Selecting and integrating any Big Data tools and frameworks required to provide requested capabilities
• Develop application instrumentation for monitoring performance and advising any necessary infrastructure changes
• Defining data retention policies
• Agile software development (Scrum/Kanban) in a DevOps culture (CI/CD)
• Experience working in Test Driven Development
• Developing keen domain knowledge; understanding the data, metrics, business use-cases, and value it provides. Assisting with socializing the value of our solutions
• Experience building large scale software applications for Cloud using Java
• Advanced degree in an analytical or technical field (or equivalent experience)
• Proficient understanding of distributed computing principles
• Proficient developing applications in Java, Python, and Scala languages
• Proficiency with Hadoop v2 ecosystem (Pig, Hive, Sqoop), MapReduce, HDFS
• Hands-on experience building containerized applications in the Cloud
• Experience with building stream-processing systems, using solutions such as Storm or Spark-Streaming
• Good knowledge of Big Data search and querying tools, such as Solr/ELK, and Apache Drill
• Experience with SMACK (Spark, Mesos, Akka, Cassandra, Kafka) stack
• Experience with integration of data from multiple data sources
• Experience with NoSQL databases, such as HBase, Cassandra, MongoDB
• Knowledge of various search techniques and frameworks, such as Flume/Morphline/Solr
• Experience with data collection and processing agents, such as Heka/Fluentd/Logstash
• Experience with Big Data ML toolkits, such as Mahout, SparkML, or H2O
• Good understanding of Lambda Architecture
• Experience with Cloudera CDH Hadoop distribution
A strong business-orientation, able to select the appropriate complex quantitative methodologies in response to specific business goals
A team player, capable of conducting independent research, who is excited by and motivated by hard technical challenges
Results-driven, self-motivated, self-starter
Excellent written and verbal communications skills, with a proven ability to translate complex methodologies and analytical results to higher-level business insights and recommendations.
Analyze, design develop, troubleshoot and debug software programs for commercial or end user applications. Writes code, completes programming and performs testing and debugging of applications.
As a member of the software engineering division, you will analyze and integrate external customer specifications. Specify, design and implement modest changes to existing software architecture. Build new products and development tools. Build and execute unit tests and unit test plans. Review integration and regression test plans created by QA. Communicate with QA and porting engineering to discuss major changes to functionality.
Work is non-routine and very complex, involving the application of advanced technical/business skills in area of specialization. Leading contributor individually and as a team member, providing direction and mentoring to others. BS or MS degree or equivalent experience relevant to functional area. 7 years of software engineering or related experience.
Oracle is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.