Big/Fast Data Engineer
We may be a bank, but we think and operate like a tech company. A tech company that writes its own code, develops its own software, and builds its own products. A tech company that experiments and innovates with the latest technologies, engineers’ breakthrough customer experiences, and brings simplicity and humanity to banking.
We began life in 1988 by harnessing the power of big data to create customized products that disrupted the credit card industry. Now we are doubling down on that big data strategy, and we are looking for great data engineers to join us.
As a Capital One Data Engineer, you'll be part of an Agile or platform team dedicated to breaking the norm and pushing the limits of continuous improvement and innovation. You will participate in detailed technical design, development and implementation of applications using existing and emerging technology platforms. Working within an Agile environment, you will provide input into architectural design decisions, develop code to meet story acceptance criteria, and ensure that the applications we build are always available to our customers. You'll have the opportunity to mentor other engineers and develop your technical knowledge and skills to keep your mind and our business on the cutting edge of technology.
At Capital One, we have seas of big data and rivers of fast data. To tame it all we're using technologies like Spark, Angular JS, Java, Cassandra, Accumulo, HBase, Hadoop, HDFS, PostgreSQL, Redshift, and MongoDB – and we're on the look-out for anything else that will help us.
Who you are:
You yearn to be part of cutting edge, high profile projects and are motivated by delivering world-class solutions on an aggressive schedule
Someone who is not intimidated by challenges; thrives even under pressure; is passionate about their craft; and hyper focused on delivering exceptional results
You love to learn new technologies and mentor junior engineers to raise the bar on your team
You always wanted to work directly with Product Owners and customers to deliver data products in a collaborative and agile environment
It would be awesome if you have a robust portfolio on GitHub and / or open source contributions you are proud to share
Passionate about intuitive and engaging user interfaces, as well as new/emerging concepts and techniques in web design
You use, or are passionate about learning, Spark, Angular JS, Java, Cassandra, Accumulo, HBase, Hadoop, HDFS, PostgreSQL, Redshift, and MongoDB – and anything else that will help you solve big, messy problems
What we have:
Flexible work schedules
Convenient office locations
Generous salary and merit-based pay incentives
A startup mindset with the wallet of a top 10 bank
Monthly innovation challenges dedicated to test driving cutting edge technologies
Your choice of equipment (MacBook/PC, iPhone/Android Device)
- Bachelor’s Degree or military experience
- At least 2 years of experience in C, Java, or Scala
- At least 2 years of experience with Unix/Linux systems with scripting experience in Shell, Perl or Python
- At least 2 years of experience building data pipelines
- At least 1 year of experience with big and fast data technologies like Spark, Cassandra, Accumulo, HBase, Hadoop, HDFS, PostgreSQL, Redshift, and MongoDB
- Master's Degree
- Experience with recognized industry patterns, methodologies, and techniques
- Familiarity with Agile engineering practices
- 2+ years of experience with Spark, Scala and/or Akka.
- 2+ years of experience with Spark Streaming, Storm, or other Stream
- 3+ years’ experience with NoSQL implementation (Mongo, Cassandra, etc. a
- 3+ years’ experience developing Java based software solutions
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.