The Lead Bindery Operator is responsible for the machine tasks which include set-up, maintenance and operation of (two of the three categories) cutters, folders or saddle stitchers.
- Reviews and interprets instructions, completes production records (time sheets, job jackets).
- Performs process related trouble-shooting and correction; monitors production.
- Performs cutting operations - cuts stock on guillotine; does finish cutting on guillotine; performs calculations; removes or replaces knives on cutters/trimmers; programs multiple cuts on automated cutters.
- Performs folder operations - sets up and adjusts feeder; sets up and adjusts folder; sets up and adjusts delivery; operates folder; sets up folder for special processes (perforating, scoring, slitting/trimming, gluing, softening, etc.)
- Performs stitching operations - sets up hand or power stitcher with or without trimmer; sets up cover feeder; sets up gauges and mechanisms to detect doubles; operates saddle stitcher; operates side stitcher; makes decisions on stitching methods; changes knife on trimmers; does minor stitcher head maintenance.
- Performs routine preventative maintenance.
- Assists in clean up and keeping immediate work area neat and orderly.
- May train others on the operation of Bindery equipment.