Monsanto's Cambridge, Massachusetts, research site works on protein engineering and evolution to increase and/or change the activity of proteins. We seek a graduate student in bioinformatics, computational biology, or computer science for an internship opportunity, working in a highly collaborative and team-based environment.
Our bioinformatics and data management team has created a suite of web tools that we use to design, analyze, and track DNA constructs and proteins for expression and assay. We have several project possibilities in mind involving the creation of new web tools for data management and analysis (but to be clear, these are not data science projects). The exact project will be defined by business needs, interest by the candidate, and time constraints; project ideas include building a new design tool or analyzing assay results and other data to identify places where we can improve our processes.
This is an excellent opportunity to apply bioinformatics and data management skills in an industry environment.
The dates for this summer internship are May 14 - August 3 of 2018. Responsibilities:
- Work on a full stack web development project using Python and SQL.
- Collaborate with the data management team and scientists to determine the scope and requirements of the project so it can be finished during the internship.
- Create the new design or analysis tool.
- Write full documentation about the project and present a seminar about the project to Monsanto researchers.
- Current graduate student enrolled at a university within the U.S. with plans to return to school upon completion of internship to continue program of study.
- Proficiency in Python and SQL and experience working in a UNIX environment.
- Cumulate GPA of at least 3.0/4.0.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with an ability to organize and document project results clearly and accurately.
- Pursing an M.S. or Ph.D. in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Computer Science, or related program.
A little about us:
At Monsanto, we believe that diverse perspectives solve big challenges and deliver a broad range of solutions to help nourish our growing world.