Spectrum News NY1
is available on channels 1 and 200 for Spectrum customers throughout New York City’s five boroughs. Spectrum News NY1 serves Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx and Staten Island and provides 24-hour local news, politics, features and weather seven days a week. The network is also available on Cablevision systems in Brooklyn and the Bronx on channel 8, on Bright House systems in Central Florida on channel 1210, in Hudson Valley (New York) on channel 1, and in North Carolina on channel 215.
The 24-hour news channel shares content with its sister channels in the Spectrum News Networks family: Spectrum News channels in Albany, Hudson Valley, Syracuse, Binghamton and Buffalo, New York; in Austin and San Antonio, Texas; and in Tampa and Orlando, Florida. JOB SUMMARYThe Broadcast Engineer maintains all technical facilities, equipment and software applications not overseen by the IT department, for NY1 under the direction of the Director of Engineering. This includes, but is not limited to: satellite, microwave, fiber optic and MPEG transport, control room switchers, routing, patching, familiarity of IT systems, networking, media workflows and facility RF and video distribution. The Engineer ensures that these systems are optimally functioning, maintained, kept up to date and secured in a 24/7 News Network environment. The Engineer must interface closely with systems’ users to identify and correct problems. This position may require travel to remote bureaus with possible extended stays.MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONSAbility to read, write, speak and understand English.To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.EDUCATION
- Maintains and repairs on-site and remote broadcast equipment: Broadcast Video and Audio Equipment, Satellite Dishes, Equipment Centers, Studios, Control Rooms, Newsrooms, NLE Edit Rooms.
- Works with operations on remote field productions - setting up, breaking down and troubleshooting cameras, cables and switchers. Establishing and maintaining satellite, microwave, MPEG and/or other transmission links.
- Coordinates repair of equipment with outside vendors, as well as provides vendor interface for troubleshooting complex system issues.
- Documents and maintains equipment maintenance history database and generates status reports for both users and supervisor.
- Resolves software problems beginning at the lowest level (user – tech - vendor).
- Evaluates, researches, and recommends equipment and software acquisitions for the channels and newsrooms.
- Installs and upgrades systems components and software as directed, fabricates cables and small part modifications.
- Maintains equipment center and workshop, spare parts inventory, tools and storage areas.
- Ensures that disaster recovery methods are accurate and accessible (backups).
- Works closely with management and peers to develop proficiency resolving engineering and IT issues.
- Troubleshoot and repair electronics at the component level. Read, interpret and update station drawings, flow charts and cable run lists.
- Develop work around to keep systems running and multi-channel network on air.
- Take direction well, work with other engineers and be able to work with vendor support over the phone to resolve issues.
- Flexible to work outside the normal hours as business requires, including a rotating on-call shift with availability 24/7.
- Must be able to lift 75lbs.
- Other duties as assigned.
Related Work Experience
- Minimum four year degree in Broadcast Engineering, Communications or related field or the equivalent experience required.
- Formal electronics training or equivalent experience preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years broadcast television or related field experience required. Engineering experience preferred.
- General understanding of CAD and systems documentation.
- Familiarity of TCP/IP/SNMP Network topologies, VLANS and Cisco switches and other IT infrastructure preferred.
- General understanding of Microsoft SQL database systems preferred.
- Must have (or able to obtain) a New York driver’s license and a clean driving record.
Working ConditionsNormal office environment, environmentally control equipment center, field locations.
- Production and/or live production experience preferred.
A little about us:
Spectrum is the nation’s fastest growing TV, internet and voice company. We’re committed to integrating the highest quality service with superior entertainment and communications products.