Location: Granville, Ohio - United States
. Innovation Engineer Purpose of the Job:
At the heart of a continuous-strand fiberglass manufacturing operation is a precious metal alloy component similar to an extrusion die called a bushing. The bushing operates in a unique high temperature environment of highly coupled thermal-fluid-electrical-structural physics. The goal of the Innovation Engineer
is to understand and harness this system to provide a component that operates in the most efficient and reliable manner possible. This role is based in Granville, but is part of our global Alloy Technology organization, which supports all Owens Corning (OC) Glass Reinforcement Systems (GRS) plants, providing development and implementation of new technologies and reducing manufacturing cost through standardization and collaboration across the network.Reports to:
Senior Leader, Alloy InnovationsJob Responsibilities:
Bushing Design (25%)
- Gather customer FFU, define system requirements and constraints to prepare design and trial proposals.
- Work as part of the design team to develop and fabricate prototypes.
- Conduct plant evaluations of design trials (modifying, as necessary), ultimately leading to full scale operation in industrial manufacturing.
- Evaluate new technology and give feedback to design team for ultimate industrialization.
GRS Plant Forming Support (50%)
- Provide support with regard to throughput, product configuration, operating performance, alloy usage, alloy losses and unit service life.
- Work closely with glass manufacturing plants during troubleshooting and continuous improvement efforts.
- Provide FFU guidance and start-up support for plant rebuilds and new plant construction.
- Develop and train plant technical and operating resources such that they are ready and capable to accept and own new and existing technologies.
- Provide feedback to alloy technical team on opportunities for improvement of current and new technologies.
- Fabricate prototype parts for improvement and evaluate in the field prior to industrial scale up.
Alloy Fabrication Process Development (25%)
- Develop and implement new fabrication technologies for our GlassMetal Services (Alloy Fab) organization to deliver a reliable and cost-effective bushing fabrication process capable of constructing each generation of bushing design with consistent and predictable quality.
Knowledge Skills and Ability:
- BS in Mechanical Engineering with background in heat transfer, fluid dynamics and/or mechanical design
- Fabrication skills for prototyping
- Interpersonal skills to communicate across all layers of the organization, including senior management, primary workforce and other technical disciplines
- Ability to work self-directed while performing the required job responsibilities on multiple projects.
- 0-5 years experience in glass manufacturing or similar industry
- Analytical Skills - Strength in structural analysis, CFD, electromagnetic analysis, metallurgy, experimental fluid mechanics and heat transfer and an academic familiarity with DOE and statistics
- Fabrication Knowledge and Skills - Knowledge and skills in metal fabrication processes, die/tooling design, welding, and forming/shaping operations.
- Technology Leadership - Strong working knowledge of engineering design, material specification, drawing practices, machine and industry safety standards, and integrated system design with the ability to apply it to our manufacturing processes.
- Project Leadership - Small to medium scale project management experience, including, but not limited to scope, schedule, cost, risk, resource, and change management. This will include initiatives with global reach, technology, processes, cross-functional teams and partner team members.
- Consulting skills - Proven track record of influencing the decision and problem solving processes. The ability to understand business and economic drivers and align goals across functional lines and organizational boundaries for execution.
About Owens Corning
- Communication - Clearly conveys relevant information and ideas with confidence and in a manner that inspires the audience. Adjusts approach to capture audience attention and ensures there is an understanding of the message. Seeks to understand others through active listening.
- External Connectedness - Participate in technical organizations outside of Owens Corning. Attend select conferences and seminars and share learnings with colleagues
- Continuous Learning - Ability and desire to identify and acquire new skills and abilities as necessary for successful completion of projects
- Technology Transfer - Ability to teach technology and train individuals at the appropriate level to ensure competence with new and existing technologies to ensure operational stability of our bushing platforms.
- Travel - Willingness to travel globally up to 25% of time
Owens Corning (NYSE: OC) develops, manufactures and markets insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composites. Global in scope and human in scale, the company's market-leading businesses use their deep expertise in materials, manufacturing and building science to develop products and systems that save energy and improve comfort in commercial and residential buildings. Through its glass reinforcements business, the company makes thousands of products lighter, stronger and more durable. Ultimately, Owens Corning people and products make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, Owens Corning posted 2015 sales of $5.4 billion and employs about 15,000 people in 25 countries. It has been a Fortune 500® company for 61 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com .A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we'll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
Owens Corning is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.