Discover. A more rewarding way to work.
At Discover Financial Services, you'll find yourself in the company of some of the industry's smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.
Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
Business Development/ Relationship Manager
Discover Financial Services is a direct banking and payment services company with one of the most recognized brands in U.S. financial services. Since its inception in 1986, the company has become one of the largest card issuers in the United States. The company issues the Discover card, America's cash rewards and pioneer, and offers private student loans, personal loans, home equity loans, checking and savings accounts and certificates of deposits through its direct banking business. It operates the Discover Global Network, which is led by three Discover businesses: Discover network, with millions of retail and cash access locations; PULSE, one of the nation's leading ATM/debit networks; and Diners Club International, a global payments network with acceptance in more than 185 countries and territories.
This individual contributor position develops and executes the key account client management strategy with an emphasis on increasing incremental revenue, improving market share and maximizing profitability. This role builds, expands and cultivates client relationships to create and enhance customer value, develop internal sponsors and establish rapport with key influencers and decision makers in addition to managing the overall performance of all assigned strategic merchant accounts to identify key opportunities to drive Discover Card usage and expand Discover Networks payments business. In this role you will map and align Discover Networks initiatives to the internal goals and priorities of the strategic account to optimize and create strategic value while managing and assisting in resolution of customer satisfaction issues. This position requires expert knowledge and a deep understanding of the strategic accounts business, organizational culture and key priorities.
*The ideal candidate for this position will be west coast based.
- Develop and execute client management strategy and represent Payment Services and DFS as the strategic liaison and central point of contact
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with key decision-makers across all divisions of the assigned strategic account.
- Act as industry expert and be responsible for one or more industry verticals and mentor other Client Development or Sr Consultant teammates.
- Own and coordinate SMR team activities against key initiative and goal priorities
- Present and execute marketing and promotional initiatives to increase sales and grow market-share.
- Manage and implement operational initiatives and ensure full compliance with Discover Networks Change Release process.
- Participate in industry events, organizations and associations
- 25- 40% expected travel/month
- Bachelors degree (or equivalent experience); MBA preferred
- 10 years of successful and proactive strategic account management experience with very large and complex clients
- Knowledgeable about key business functions: marketing, finance, operations, etc.
- Experience building influential relationships with senior level management
- In-depth industry background is required including a thorough understanding of the payments industry (i.e. merchants, issuers, acquirers, etc), card products (i.e. Debit, Credit, Commercial, Stored Value, etc..) and industry pricing methodology (i.e. interchange)
- Requires exceptional strategic thinking, business acumen, interpersonal and communication skills (ability to produce and deliver influential presentations to senior level audiences)
- Requires strong prioritization, planning and analytical skills
- Promote a risk-aware culture; ensure efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to required standards and practices #LI-BP1
see job description
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Discover is one of the most recognized brands in U.S. financial services. We’re a direct banking and payment services company built on a legacy of innovation and customer service.