In January 2016, MetLife announced a plan to pursue the separation of a substantial portion of its U.S. Retail segment. Once separated, the new business will be called Brighthouse Financial.
Brighthouse Financial will serve customers the way they want, need and deserve. It will focus on eliminating the complexity, confusion and cost that can get in the way of many Americans who are seeking financial security. We will bring products to the market that add value to our customers’ lives, and will be guided by a common set of values that focus on the customer and drive accountability.
Brighthouse Financial is seeking high-performing team members who are passionate about the company’s mission. We are laser-focused on adding value to our customers and minimizing complexity in every decision and action. We are building high performing teams who set the bar high and hold each other accountable.
In partnership with their assigned External Wholesaler, the Business Development Specialist focuses on growing new business in support of territory sales goals. This role assists in developing and managing distribution relationships by facilitating business production, creative selling and problem resolution. The Business Development Specialist acts in partnership with the External Wholesaler by executing upon an institutionalized sales approach, providing internal sales support, product training and acting as a subject matter expert.
United States : North Carolina : Charlotte
Alternate Job Location
Not Applicable : Not Applicable
- Responsible for building new and maintaining existing relationships with financial advisors in national broker dealers (BDs), regional BDs and independent BDs to increase revenue from life insurance sales. Ensuring trust from the financial advisor is crucial for the successful execution of the job.
- Conduct joint meetings telephonically with financial advisors and clients to educate and sell life insurance. Additionally, actively consult and advise financial advisors to provide them with value-added strategies to increase the business with their clients.
- Collaborate with financial advisors to include life insurance solutions in financial planning. Demonstrate the ability to educate financial advisors on financial products and the process of selling life insurance products.
- Conduct WebEx meetings and training workshops to current and prospective financial advisors to increase the knowledge of MetLife’s/Brighthouse Financial products, describe our value proposition and present our products in the context of sales ideas.
- Strategically plan and manage the deployment of resources to maximize territorial sales.
- Work in partnership with the assigned External Wholesaler to identify and foster leads generated by referrals, ad campaigns and territory canvassing.
- Responsible for keeping financial advisors informed of Market and Legislative updates, rapidly changing products and service agreements.
- Must actively develop new relationships with financial advisors to significantly capture sales and grow assets, especially in key accounts, as well as servicing existing producing agents.
- Schedule financial advisor/client meetings for External Wholesaler partners.
- Provide advanced case design and illustration support to financial professionals.
- Responsible for providing an excellent advisor experience through all interactions.
- Full accountability and ownership of outstanding issues until resolution is reached.
- Follow up to ensure policy delivery requirements are satisfied in a timely manner.
- 2+ years experience interacting with customers
- High School Diploma or Equivalency
- Must obtain FINRA Series 6 & Series 63 within 120 days of hire
- Ability to be Life & Health licensed with Variable Authority in all states MetLife/Brighthouse Financial conducts business
- If currently not licensed, then passing the Life & Health Insurance License with Variable Authority exam in your state of residency is required for your employment as well as being able to obtain non-residence licenses in all states required for compliance within 120 days of hire.
- In order to post for this position, you need the proper work authorization to work in the country where the position is located and not require relocation assistance
- 2+ years sales experience wholesaling in life insurance industry.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely.
- Capacity to build strong relationships.
- Thorough knowledge of and proven ability to demonstrate sales and marketing principles and practices.
- Excellent presentation skills and the ability to motivate to action.
- Expected to maintain a thorough knowledge of existing, new and enhanced products.
- Proven ability to grow a territory as measured by sales and persistency of business.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent of experience and education.
- Advanced degrees or industry designation a plus.
- High degree of professionalism.
- Conscientious and detail oriented.
- Ability to work independently and collaborate in a team environment.
Number of Openings
MetLife is a proud equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to attracting, retaining, and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is MetLife's policy to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.
Note to Mobile Users: If viewing on a mobile device and would like to apply, please email the job to yourself and complete the application from a desktop/laptop.
Note to Desktop/Laptop Users: For immediate consideration, click Apply Now button below. You will be directed to complete an on-line profile which takes 10 – 15 minutes to complete. Upon completion, you will receive an automated confirmation email verifying you have successfully applied to the job.
Internal Use Only: 09S NewCo-Wave2
MetLife offers life insurance, disability income insurance, car insurance, employee benefits and more.