Business Intelligence Developer
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posted: September 30, 2016
Reference ID: 00001FKZ
MWI Animal Health is a data-driven organization that emphasizes having a sound analytic foundation for its key decisions. The Business Intelligence Developer will have the responsibility for enabling improvements in MWI's financial and operational performance by improving organizational knowledge through improved data management, reporting and analytical capabilities. The position will work cross-functionally and in close partnership with the entire the organization to identify opportunities to improve data integrity and organizational efficiency primarily through improved reportingcapabilities. The position should challenge existing processes through ongoing monitoring and improvement of reports; ensuring they are being utilized to drive organizational improvements.
The ideal candidate will be a creative thinker who understands user interface design and visualizations skills such as user experience design, data visualization and graphical design. Individuals in this role understand how information is turned into knowledge and how this knowledge supports and enables key business processes. They must have a good understanding of data access requirements for business analytics and exploration. Also required are analytical skills, the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with team members, as well as an innate curiosity around wanting to understand business processes, business strategy and strategic business initiatives to help drive incremental business value from enterprise data assets.
• Helps lead the effort to meet on-going business needs with data-reporting tools that draw on the MWI data warehouse and provide drill-down capability, replacing where possible spreadsheets that are manually maintained.
• Contribute to a team responsible for the design, development and implementation of mission critical business intelligence reports and applications of enterprise scale
• Design and development focus includes but is not limited to: dimensional data model design, ETL/ELT frameworks and processing, metadata management, operational data integration, master data management and data quality, data auditing and profiling, and business intelligence reporting solutions
• Participate in business analysis activities to gather required reporting, dashboard and analytics requirements and then monitor to ensure reports are utilized and the results are actionable and driving organizational improvement
• Conceptualize, design and develop data visualization solutions that synthesize data concepts into clear communications for key business stakeholders.
• Design, develop, and optimize enterprise level reporting, OLAP, and other business intelligence solutions, and train others in the use of the tools
• Evaluate and recommend new technologies as required
• Continually test and validate data repositories; including data accuracy, data quality, and performance
• Manage reporting configuration, subscriptions and security
• Develop standards and best practices to ensure data standardization and consistency as required
• Leverages data visualization requirements to ensure semantic data access layer(s) meet business requirements.
• Works with data engineers to optimally design and implement semantic data consumption within data visualization environments.
• Leverages enterprise standard tools and platforms to visualize insights, typically working with a small team.
• Transfers knowledge around using data visualizations to business stakeholders.
• Assists in business stakeholder adoption of insights-driven decision making and/or business All other duties as assigned
• A bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or related field; or equivalent work experience
• 3-7 years of experience in developing business analytics solutions, focusing on requirements gathering and effective visualization of insights.
• 3-7 Years of experience with data visualization/BI tools (Tableau preferred), SQL and semantic data access mechanisms.
• Understanding of full life cycle data warehousing, ETL, reporting and analytics development
• Excellent written/oral communication and presentation/interpersonal skills
• Experience in enterprise-scale reports and dashboards design and development in one or more of the following a plus:
o Microsoft BI
o Cognos BI
• Experience in BI data model and dimensional model best practices is preferred
• Proficient in Microsoft BI Tools (SSIS, SSRS; SSAS/MDX) is preferred.
• Experience with data management/date quality best practices a plus
• Performance tuning experience related to reporting queries required
• Understanding of data integration issues (validation and cleaning), familiarity with complex data and structures
• Requires strong analytical, conceptual and problem-solving abilities
• Ability to manage multiple priorities, and assess and adjust quickly to changing priorities
• Must display initiative, a desire to learn and the ability to actively participate in team projects
Plan and Analyze: Uses relevant information from different sources to identify issues and develop strategies for accomplishing goals; translates strategies into action-oriented objectives; identifies important relationships and root causes; anticipates issues, obstacles or opportunities that may impact plans or action.
Build Quality Service: Defines quality service based on customer needs, wants, expectations and profitability; aligns actions accordingly; remains sensitive and responsive to both internal and external customers; builds distinctive predictable levels of service; resolves problems quickly and effectively.
Seek Continuous Improvement: Recognizes that all products and services can be continuously improved through systematic optimization of processes; positions change and problems as opportunities to develop better and creative ways to do things; provides employees with the training, tools and support to pursue continuous improvement.
Maintain Technological Expertise: Keeps informed of technological advances affecting the industry; recognizes/identifies appropriate and effective technological applications for use by the company; applies internal technology to effective advantage.
Demonstrate Technical/Functional Skills: Meets or exceeds technical/functional expectations.
Demonstrate Interpersonal Skills: Communicates in an open, straight forward, honest and respectful style; checks for message clarity; understands the effect the communication style has on others, including nonverbal communications; plans for and adapts to the wide variety of communication preferences and needs of others.
Problem Solving: Recognizes that a problem exists (i.e., that there is a discrepancy between what is and what should be); identifies possible reasons for the discrepancy and devises and implements a plan of action to resolve it.