The Business Manager to Head of US Commercial is a critically important role, enabling the Head of US Commercial to work most effectively with internal and external stakeholders and fulfill his commitments to Shire's patients, shareholders, and Board of Directors. This is not an administrative role; it is highly strategic and facilitative role that requires a combination of focus and flexibility, as well as a willingness to play an active, behind-the-scenes role. As the most trusted partner to the Head of US Commercial, the role requires a highly resourceful individual with strong emotional intelligence, self-motivation, and strong analytical skills.
Working in partnership with the Head of US Commercial, you will be immersed in strategic and operational analysis as well as take a lead role in driving large projects within the business, giving you deep insight and access to the organizational strategy and direction. You will have the opportunity to focus on formulating and implementing strategies to create potential future revenue streams and maximize shareholder value.
The Business Manager will become adept at compiling reports for the Head of US Commercial, CEO, Executive Committee, InLine Committee and Board of Directors, in a succinct format, enabling the Head of US Commercial to quickly understand where his business is and the issues it faces. You will quickly be expected to give opinions on such findings and given the task of designing and rolling out action/project plans.
You will learn up close how a senior management team operates and how important decisions are made. You will be personally and professionally challenged through direct participation in decision-making processes and proximity to decision-makers.
You will take advantage of the freedom offered to shape your experience while in this role. While there are set deliverables and responsibilities such as US Commercial Leadership Team Meetings, Executive Committee, InLine Committee, critical speaking engagements, etc., there will be opportunity to define project work critical to the US Commercial organization's growth and development and personally interesting to the individual possessing this rile.
This role will require domestic travel approximately 30-50% of the time. Minimal international travel
Research and Analysis:
• Reviewing and analyzing the company's financial reports, flagging appropriate issues.
• Financial due diligence on internal departments and external competitors
• Basic modeling of companies in competitive industry
• Undertaking research on potential brand opportunities including financial and marketing research and willingness to provide opinions and insight based on this research
Marketing and Industry Knowledge Building:
• Understanding the nature of brand-building and product categories
• Analyzing business strategy and marketing plans
• Learning about operations in different areas, and related sectors
• Developing a thorough understanding of the US Market
• Attending business meetings with the Head of US Commercial and providing a different perspective on current issues.
• Preparing critical meeting agendas and sending out pre meeting documentation
• Participating in meetings and responsible for tracking outcomes and deliverables
• Working closely with the Head of US Commercial to identify and prepare for critical thought leadership engagements
Opportunities for Professional Development:
The incumbent will gain highly valuable skills enabling him or her to more readily attain a general management perspective/role that encompasses the strategic, financial, and operational aspects of leading a global, complex biotechnology organization.
Specifically, the Business Manager will:
• Become aware of issues from an integrative, executive leadership perspective
• Obtain an 'up close and personal' understanding of leadership and decision-making related to the simultaneous execution of a complex organizational growth strategy and the continuous transformation of an industry sector.
• Be exposed to senior executives with the opportunity to learn from their strengths and developmental areas.
• Be mentored by the Head of US Commercial
• Have access to formal developmental opportunities that augment their responsibilities as Business Manager.
Education & Experience Requirements
This role provides privileged access to the inner workings of Shire and to highly sensitive information.
The successful candidate will be discrete, high-energy, agile-minded, strategic, proactive, highly-organized and committed to the vision and values of Shire. In addition, the following standards will generally define the successful incumbent:
• Advance degree coupled with 2-3 years of experience working in or serving the life sciences industry required, which may include management/strategy consulting, private equity, medical practice or law experience, etc.
Experience in sales/marketing highly desirable.
• Mission-driven; passionate about Shire's vision, values and patients
• Good sense of self and strong personal presence
• Willingness to work hard and take direction, ownership and accountability for work-but also creatively solve problems for which the answers aren't always obvious
• Ability to demonstrate initiative, suggest improvements to current systems as well as establish new processes
Shire is the leading global biotechnology company focused on serving people with rare diseases and other highly specialized conditions. We strive to develop best-in-class products, many of which are available in more than 100 countries, across core therapeutic areas including Hematology, Immunology, Neuroscience, Ophthalmics, Lysosomal Storage Disorders, Gastrointestinal/Internal Medicine/Endocrine and Hereditary Angioedema; and a growing franchise in Oncology.
Our employees come to work every day with a shared mission: to develop and deliver breakthrough therapies for the hundreds of millions of people in the world affected by rare diseases and other high-need conditions, and who lack effective therapies to live their lives to the fullest.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Shire is an equal opportunity employer. Shire evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, disability/handicap status or any other legally protected characteristic.
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law - Supplement
Pay Transparency Policy
Shire is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please call 484-595-8400 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
A little about us:
At Shire, we help people with rare diseases and specialized conditions live their lives to the fullest.