GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES - This position is responsible for case finding and abstraction of cancer data for hospitals in the West Florida
DUTIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
• Completes case-finding for assigned facilities, including review of pathology reports, the disease index, suspense list in Meditech and merging appropriate cases into ERS.
• Responsible for reviewing medical records to abstract information according to the standards of the American College of Surgeons (ACOS) and the state of Florida Cancer Data System (FCDS).
• Performs timely abstraction of assigned cases to ensure compliance with ACOS standards, i.e. within six months of patient contact.
• Completes edit checks and makes appropriate changes on a timely basis.
• Follow ACOS and FCDS data standards and coding instructions to abstract all reportable cases.
• Assist with case follow-up of analytic patients as requested.
• Attend state and national educational activities as approved by Director.
• Submit data to the National Cancer Data Bank (NCDB) in accordance with the annual Call for Data.
• Submit data monthly to the Florida Cancer Data System (FCDS).
• Resolve errors resulting in the rejection of records from the NCDB and FCDS.
• Participates in required continuing education programs and annual reorientation.
• Practice and adhere to the "Code of Conduct" philosophy and "Mission and Value Statement"
• Other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
• Knowledge of disease index and pathology reports.
• Computer skills, including data input, Meditech and other required software.
• High school degree (or equivalent) required; Associates degree preferred
• 3-5 years of Cancer Data Abstraction or Medical Records experience
CERTIFICATE/LICENSE - Certified Tumor Registrar (CTR) designation required. rida Division.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS -
Requires prolonged sitting, some bending, stooping and stretching. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare and communicate appropriate reports. Requires lifting papers or boxes up to 50 pounds occasionally. Work is performed in an office environment. Work may be stressful at times. Contact may involve dealing with angry or upset people. Staff must remain flexible and available
to provide staffing assistance for any/all disaster or emergency situations.
A little about us:
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom