A Cancer Registrar is needed for Lewis Gale Hospital in Salem, VA. Certification as a Certified Tumor Registrar (CTR) per the Commission on Cancer standards for 2012 is required for this position.*Only candidates with a CTR certification will be considered*
The Cancer Registrar is responsible for cancer case ascertainment, abstracting, follow-up in accordance with the Commission on Cancer and Virginia Cancer Registry requirements. The Cancer Registrar provides support to the cancer registry team and LewisGale Medical Centers cancer program. This includes support and collaboration with the cancer committee, administration, various staff, hospital staff, physicians, physician's office staff, and other health care providers.
Essential functions of the job include, but are not limited to:
1) Maintains and reconciles complex records/ reports.
2) Assists Regional Cancer Registrar with compiling, analyzing, and interpreting data.
3) Assists and trains others as required.
4) Exercises a high degree of initiative and independent judgment.
5) Able to facilitate meetings and apply problem solving techniques. Makes decisions and recommendations within established guidelines and procedures.
6) With general supervisory direction, performs complex job duties. Requires a high-level use and knowledge of software. Retrieves information from departmental and/or project records.
7) Interacts with contacts both inside and outside of LGMC to facilitate completion of projects. Exercises a high degree of initiative and independent judgment.
8) Utilizes PC, filing systems, calculator, typewriter, and other standard office equipment to record, store, retrieve, and report information. Uses the appropriate software for word processing, graphics, data bases, and spreadsheets.
9) Responds to non-routine correspondence or telephone contacts in area of authorized responsibility within guidelines established by department supervisor.
10) Receives, classifies, reconciles, consolidates, and/or summarizes documents and information.
11) Maintains information on records and balances. When necessary, develops filing systems.
12) May receive confidential information where discretion is necessary to protect confidentiality. May maintain confidential files and records.
13) Independently resolves non-routine, non-recurrent problems. Assists Regional Cancer Registrar with making decisions and recommendations within established guidelines and procedures.
14) May perform other duties as assigned.
Job Duties include but are not limited to:
1) Participates in cancer program reporting activities.
2) Performs case ascertainment.
3) Performs data collection (abstracting) on reportable cancer cases in accordance with current state and national accrediting agencies.
4) Assigns codes to the collected data set items in accordance with current state and national accrediting agencies.
5) Initiates procedures to obtain information (follow-up) on progress of cancer patients.
6) May be asked to collect and prepare cancer registry statistical reports.
7) Maintains cancer registry files in accordance with current state and national accrediting agencies.
8) Professionally interacts with facility departments and medical organizations.
9) Maintain professional memberships and credentials
10) Other duties as assigned
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
High school diploma or equivalent
Two years of college or Associate's Degree
Two years Cancer Registry experience
Four years Cancer Registry experience
Other healthcare information or technology experience
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATES:
Certified Tumor Registrar (CTR)
A little about us:
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom