Locations: Sales - CA - San Francisco, United States of America, San Francisco, California
Capital One Growth Ventures - Venture Associate
About Capital One Growth Ventures
At Capital One, we think big and do big things. We were the first company to develop and offer mass customization and personalization of credit card products, and we have been innovating relentlessly ever since.
Today we are working hard to lead innovation in the financial services industry. Over the last few years, Capital One has been investing significantly in digital technologies and talent to drive growth.
To support these efforts, Capital One launched Capital One Growth Ventures, which focuses on venture investing, company building, and identifying innovative digital acquisitions. Working closely with Capital One’s business units (Cards, Banking, Financial Services and Commercial) and sitting within Capital One Labs, Capital One Growth Ventures is instrumental in identifying new opportunities in financial technology, payments, big data, security, identity, and other related sectors.
About the Associate Role
The nature of corporate venture capital changes every day. We research external trends, develop theses, engage startups, and execute transactions. Internally, we incubate new ventures, help define strategy, and work with our business units to internalize new technology. No day is the same. As an associate, you will dynamically support the Growth Ventures investment team across all live initiatives and projects. This role is a two-year commitment, after which you may choose to join a startup, pursue a graduate degree, or continue as an investor.
The right candidate will be analytical, articulate, detail-oriented, and driven:
Analytical: You have a quantitative background, either academically or professionally, and a desire to learn the ins and outs of venture capital, financial analysis, and startup economics.
Articulate: You present information deliberately and cogently, whether in text, slides, or spoken word.
Detail-oriented: You catch things others miss, work methodically and meticulously, and deliver high-quality work product without hands-on supervision.
Driven: Your horsepower and bandwidth are only trumped by your eagerness to learn, grow, and develop professionally.
Additionally, the right candidate will possess:
- A demonstrated interest in technology, startups, and corporate innovation
- An understanding of investments and how they are made
- An understanding of technology, code, and enterprise software
- Assist the venture capital investment team in all projects and initiatives
- Help source and evaluate new investment opportunities
- Create and present investment theses and strategy recommendations
- Build financial analyses for individual companies and the venture capital portfolio as a whole
- Write investment memorandums and presentations to the investment committee
- Manage incubation initiatives and engagement with early-stage startups
- Provide high-touch support and value-add for our portfolio companies
- Actively participate in the FinTech and enterprise software startup community, including organizing marketing and networking events
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Business, or Accounting
- At least 2 years of experience in Management Consulting
- At least 2 years of experience in Investment Banking
- At least 2 years of experience in Strategy and Corporate Development
At least 2 years of experience in Technology
- Master’s degree in Business Administration (MBA), Marketing or Finance
- 4 years of experience in Management Consulting
- 4 years of experience in Investment Banking
- 4 years of experience in Strategy and Corporate Development
4 years of experience in Technology
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Headquartered in McLean, Virginia, Capital One® offers a broad array of financial products and services to consumers.