Gartner Digital Markets supports the technology needs of small and medium sized organizations. The business is comprised of three brands - Software Advice, Capterra and GetApp - who are the leaders in helping small businesses select the right software. For candidates exploring the technology space for their next opportunity, Gartner Digital Markets can offer the excitement of working for a start-up, balanced by the stability of a large established organization, and the opportunity to be on the front lines of innovation in a company that is growing and transforming.
Capterra, a Gartner company, is located in the Ballston neighborhood of Arlington, VA – mere blocks from the Metro and surrounded by restaurants, parks and the Ballston Commons Mall. We’ve been named one of the best places to work in the DC area by the Washington Business Journal, and have been listed in the Inc. 5000 for being one of the fastest growing companies in the country for the past 7 years.
We are looking to bring a Senior Cloud Architect to join our team. T he Cloud Team is responsible for developing Capterra's capabilities in automating and streamlining IT infrastructure processes and tasks while improving Capterra's capabilities and service offerings with greater self-service abilities using public cloud platforms and open-source technologies.
About the role:
- Collaborate with a cross-functional team of application developers, operations engineers, and architects to understand complex product requirements and translate them into cloud native designs.
- Collaborate with colleagues to support and improve architecture, systems, processes, standards and tools.
- Lead architectural discussions to ensure solutions are designed for successful deployment, security, and high availability in the cloud
- Push the organization through thought leadership to incorporate cloud computing correctly and most effectively
- Work with application teams to move existing applications to AWS through lift-and-Shift and refactoring migration strategies
- Develop, implement, and test data backup and recovery, and disaster recovery procedures
- Write and maintain clear, concise documentation, runbooks and operational standards including infrastructure diagrams
- Ensure all solutions are properly monitored and instrumented
- Troubleshoot and resolve complex issues in development, test and production environments
- Educate/mentor product teams and junior engineers
- Write and maintain code for automating the creation of scalable/resilient systems/infrastructure
- Design and deploy scalable, highly available, and fault tolerant distributed systems
- Provide best practices for building secure and reliable applications on cloud platforms
- Review existing and proposed architectures with an eye towards cost optimization
- Continuously identify, adopt, & refine best practices
- Educate/mentor product teams and junior engineers
- MS or BS degree in computer science or related focus, or equivalent experience
- 8+ years of experience in a Software Development, Infrastructure Engineering or Operational role, with a desired 2+ years in a relevant cloud based role.
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills and demonstrated ability to collaborate across teams and organizations
- Ability to delegate assignments and tasks to best achieve an outcome
- Strong knowledge of scripting, programming and application programming interface (API) interaction.
- Strong understanding of web applications and relational database architectures
- Adept at learning and applying new technologies and solving new problems
- Understanding of agile and other development processes and methodologies
- Knowledge and experience with immutable infrastructure and infrastructure as code concepts
- Linux (RHEL/CentOS) system administration experience required
- Knowledge/Experience with the various services and capabilities of AWS computing platforms
- Shell, Python, Groovy, Powershell or other programming language experience is a must
- Experience provisioning, operating, and maintaining systems running in the cloud
- Strong knowledge and understanding of CI/CD processes and tools (Jenkins)
- Experience with Infrastructure Definition/Provisioning tools such as Cloudformation
- Experience with Configuration Management tools such as Chef or Ansible
- Knowledge/experience with Docker and Amazon ECS is desirable
- In-depth knowledge working with and managing Git(Github)
- Any exposure or hands on experience with APM tools such as New Relic a plus
- Experience monitoring cloud and on-premise infrastructure and applications
- Familiarity with database technologies such as MySQL, MS SQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle is a plus
- Hands-on experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) such as IAM, EC2, EBS, ELB, RDS, S3, Route 53, Gateways, VPCs, CloudWatch, Lambda scripts, highly desirable
- AWS Certifications a plus (AWS Certified Solutions Architect)
- Continuous improvement mindset
Job ID 00016671
A little about us:
What makes Gartner a great place to work? Great people. Smart, curious and driven toward success, they thrive on new ideas and collaboration. Top talent is why we are the world’s leading research and advisory company. If you’re looking for a great community, a rewarding career and a chance to make a difference, you’ve come to the right place.