Serving the healthcare needs of Manatee County for more than 40 years, Blake Medical Center is a 383-bed, tertiary hospital and leading provider of quality, affordable healthcare. We offer a wide range of services including the area's only Trauma Center, 24-hour emergency care, open-heart surgery, cancer care, joint replacement and inpatient rehabilitation. Blake also boasts many designations and certifications from some of the most well-known names in healthcare.
The MSW provides discharge planning and assistance with social services to the patient or significant other. Collaborates with the care team and other healthcare professionals to implement an interdisciplinary process for evaluating a patients' progress from admission through return to the community.
Role Accountabilities include:
- Initiates the case management process to ensure patients receive the appropriate level of services across the continuum. Ensures plan meets patient's clinical, psychological and discharge needs in collaboration with attending physician and interdisciplinary team.
- Ensures all admission and continued stays meet clinical criteria for appropriateness and medical necessity. Assesses discharge planning needs and coordinates the delivery of services to meet these needs.
- Evaluates the health status of assigned patients by collecting and analyzing patient and family information. Expedites and coordinates the delivery of services to facilitate patients' progression through the healthcare system.
- Participates in interdisciplinary team meetings to ensure optimum patient care.
- Develops and maintains effective relationships with appropriate community resources , post-acute care facilities and medical-equipment providers to support patient care needs post discharge.
- Establishes rapport and works collaboratively with insurance companies to facilitate the patients transition to an appropriate level of care.
- Facilitates the discharge planning process through coordination with the interdisciplinary team and serves as a liaison to safely transition patients to the appropriate level of care. Proactively identifies and resolves issues.
- Acts as an educational resources and provides consultation to hospital medical staff regarding discharge planning process and applicable federal, state and local regulations; identifies benefits, implications and limitations of home care as appropriate.
- Evaluates patients educational needs concerning continuum of care and available services and provides information and materials regarding community resources, discharge options, and pre and post treatment options and costs to patient and patient families. provides assistance in resolving clinical, psychosocial and financial barriers.
- Maintains documentation on discharge planning notes and charts on patient's record as performed.
- Monitors and controls the use of healthcare resources to achieve desired patient outcomes, decrease length of stay, and decrease resource utilization. Identifies and documents delays in case and service and reports findings to department director.
- Utilization philosophies and practices to support Patient Service Excellence, such as AIDET, rounding with purpose, and discharge calls, etc. to optimize healing environment and patient outcomes.
- Tracks and trends barriers to care; Makes recommendations and develops action plans to improve processes and systems.
- Participates in rounding and proactively responds to patient needs to improve patient outcomes and positively impact overall patient experience.
MSW in Social Work required
Minimum of 3 years recent experience within an acute care facility or related healthcare experience