Monsanto's Global Supply Chain Procurement organization is looking for a Category Manager
to develop and implement short, mid, and long term strategies designed to optimize North American Row Crops, Vegetable, and Technology Seed Production Services' requirements.
The successful candidate will work closely with key stakeholders to enhance and harmonize sourcing tools and processes for Grower Agreements including isolation, rotation, land preparation, input application (fertilizer, weed control, insecticide, fungicide), field labor (roguing, detasseling, male removal), harvesting, and freight in conjunction with regional Manufacturing Operations, Finance, Treasury, and Legal teams.
Key objectives within this role include developing visibility into contracted Grower acres and related Seed Production Services spend, establishing effective standardized sourcing tools to fully leverage Monsanto's scale, scope, and seed footprint, delivering year-over-year productivity improvements in TCO, and mitigating risks/managing volatility while maintaining or improving seed supply product quality, value, service levels, and existing supplier relationships.
This position is part of a team responsible for $1.4 Billion in annual spend and will report directly to the North American Seed Production Services Lead. This role is located in St. Louis, MO. Key Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement cross crop and cross regional sourcing strategies and tools to transform Monsanto's Seed Production Services procurement processes into an industry best practice and benchmark.
- Collaboratively manage and optimize $1.4 billion in North America spend directly related to Seed Production Services while continuing to insure production of the industries highest quality seed and further enhancing existing relationships with growers, field input providers, and field labor sources.
- Work closely with Global and Regional Manufacturing Operations, Finance, Treasury, Legal and Procurement colleagues to mitigate risks and manage volatility related to Seed Production Services requirements.
- Engage and leverage multinational and mid-tier field input suppliers to procure cost effective high-performance products and services to maximize yield and improve seed quality.
- Work with North American Row Crops, Vegetable, and Technology teams, legal and regulatory functions to ensure contracts are negotiated and signed in accordance with existing policies and procedures.
- Ensure organizational coordination and alignment of supplier sourcing strategies (with Manufacturing Operations, Finance, Treasury, Legal, etc.).
- Contribute to a global cost savings goal to be delivered by 2020.
- Work with other category management, strategic sourcing, and operations purchasing teams to streamline and improve sourcing processes.
- Collaboratively manage supplier development/relationships to ensure continuity of goods and services that meet quality, service and price performance standards of the company.
- Develop negotiation strategies and drive negotiations to achieve stated goals and objectives.
- Drive improvement of procurement efficiency and effectiveness throughout Monsanto.
- Understand market aspects of assigned categories on a regional basis. Conduct financial and business analysis of supply base including supply/demand/capacity analysis.
- Maintain a working knowledge of applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations as well as any internal policies (e.g. code of ethics) or procedures to ensure the behavior exhibited by the organization is of the highest levels of integrity, honesty, and transparency.
- Participate in/identify/facilitate cross-functional negotiating teams targeting key spend categories.
- Demonstrate leadership by engaging the wider organization in the overall procurement opportunity, build cross-functional teams, and communicate procurement strategies and priorities across the organization.
- Collaborate effectively across different organizational levels, functions, businesses, and geographies to realize procurement goals and objectives.
- Bachelor's degree
- 5+ year experience in procurement, supply chain, or similar related experience
- Ability to work successfully and effectively in a heavily matrixed environment across global and business matrices
- Strategic ability to develop high impact sourcing strategies
- Emphasis on personal development
- Demonstrate high levels of candor; ability to respectfully challenge senior leadership and business owners
- High level of results orientation
- Comfort/familiarity with constructing presentations, organizational communications, and business cases
- Strong ability to build relationships and networks with multiple functions and at leadership levels
- Strong analytical capabilities and negotiation skills
- Critical thinker
- Master's and/or MBA degree
- Degree discipline in Supply Chain Management, Business, Engineering, or related field
- Experience working in a manufacturing environment
- Experience working in the seed industry; preferably in row crops
- Technical capabilities: finance, chemistry, ag chemistry, or agronomy background
A little about us:
At Monsanto, we believe that diverse perspectives solve big challenges and deliver a broad range of solutions to help nourish our growing world.