Cath Lab Tech
Work Schedule : PRN (As Needed)
Location : Medical Center of Lewisville
Cath Lab Tech Position Summary :
Assists cardiologist in performance of diagnostic and interventional cardiac procedures. Performs quality procedures accurately and in a timely manner. Operates x-ray equipment, prepares patient's room, equipment, supplies, and medications. Practices proper radiation safety techniques on all exams performed. Maintains safe environment for patients, fellow workers, physicians, and visitors. Supports and helps achieve departmental and hospital goals. The Technologist demonstrates an awareness of patient's rights and works to ensure patient privacy, safety and comfort.
Cath Lab Tech Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participates in hospital or departmental performance improvement activities.
- Perform special assignments as needed/requested.
- Serves as a clinical resource to department staff, students, volunteers and other departments, and contributes to the teamwork essential to ensuring quality patient care.
- Takes appropriate measures to ensure safety of patients.
- Attend staff meetings and in-services.
- Transport patients safely.
- Provide care of patients with a variety of medical diagnosis and resulting complications.
- Participate in hospital or departmental quality assurance/performance improvement activities.
- Prepare room, equipment, medicine and materials as needed for patients.
- Clean and disinfect procedure room, pre-op, and post procedure area and equipment.
- Observe proper radiation safety techniques on all exams.
- Prepare patient for cardiac catheterization - explain procedures, transfer patient to table, position patients and assist patient at end of procedure.
- Maintain images and operate image vault and hemodynamic server.
- Document events of the procedure accurately.
- Observe patient and machine during procedure, report unusual occurrences, and records patient's condition.
- Maintain stock supplies (i.e. catheters, wires, etc.) and perform general office duties, (i.e. proper charge codes, procedures completed.)
- Inspect and report radiographic equipment and room for any malfunctions within his/her shift.
- Assist the cardiologist in performance of all diagnostic/interventional procedures in the scrubbing, panning, and monitoring roles.
- Assist with other duties as assigned by the director and/or manager.
- Serve as a clinical resource to department staff, students, volunteers, other departments, and contribute to the teamwork essential to ensuring quality patient care.
- Prioritize needs of the patient and gives care to meet these needs including age related, spiritual, emotional, and physiological.
- Assume responsibility for the safety and comfort of patients, while following the hospital established standards and practices.
- Perform patient/family education with documentation.
- Assure physical safety conditions are observed in all patient related situations.
- Maintain a clean and tidy work area.
- Assist with Get With the Guidelines as needed.
- Primary job function is in the Cath Lab, but will cross train to other areas of Cardiovascular Services. Will assist other areas as needed when assigned.
- Cooperative and flexible in 24 hour staffing and scheduling requirements in order to meet the needs of the department.
Cardiovascular Tech Minimum Position Requirements:
- BLS (AHA)
- ACLS (AHA) certification or must attain within 6 months of employment
- RT (R) - Registered Radiological Technologist or
- RCIS - Registered Cardiovascular Invasive Specialist or
- RRT - Registered Respiratory Therapist
- Must be registered/eligible by Cardiovascular Credentialing International must attain registry within one year of employment or
- Graduate of or equivalent of an accredited school of Radiography, Respiratory Therapy or Cardiovascular Technology
- On the job training.
- Cath lab experience (monitoring, circulating, panning, and scrubbing)
- Special Qualifications:
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Computer and keyboarding skills.
- Ability to work with others to ensure quality patient care.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Continuous focus on excellence in work environment.
- Must be able to take call restricted to a 30 response time and work on hospital holidays
A little about us:
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom