About the Team
The Fusion Applications (FA) Central Projects Team works directly with FA's Executive Vice President Steve Miranda on high-profile projects of his choosing. Although we report into the Human Capital Management team, our mandate is to work with teams across all FA application pillars. We take on projects of topmost strategic value that promise to have large-scale impact on FA development and products. We are sent into areas as benevolent agents of change. We engage, solve problems, disengage, and move on to the next challenge. Our team comprises a broad mix of senior-level skills and perspectives, blending product management, development, architecture, usability, and project management with an appreciation of the business impact of our work. This new team is being grown from one person to around six. Projects to date have included: SMERF (the Steve Miranda Enhancement Requests for Fusion), a new in-house tool and process for streamlining how FA and the Fusion Middleware teams manage ERs between them; and another initiative to unify, streamline, and improve the quality and usability of our Approvals-related technologies. We expect a broad and varied set of new projects in the future. If you are a tenacious senior professional who enjoys a broad mix of challenges and if you have a flair for boldly knocking down barriers where others might back away, this is the team for you. Description of the Position
The Central Projects Architect and Project Lead must be a multi-talented senior professional who can handle just about anything that may be thrown at him or her in the world of enterprise SaaS applications. In this role, you will be dispatched to handle projects that Steve Miranda, Executive Vice President of Fusion Applications (FA) has himself determined to be of the greatest need and strategic value. These projects will require that you draw on your substantial experience in some if not all of these areas: development, technical architecture, functional architecture, product management, streamlining development processes, user experience, user interface design, and/or organizational problem-solving. Your job will be to engage with principal stakeholders, figure out what needs to be done to satisfy FA's strategic needs, define vision where needed, and ultimately drive that project home. You must be able to deliver results even when you have no direct authority. You must thrive when you have a lack of support or structure around you and figure out how to construct your own. You will define your own milestones and deliverables and lead the project every step of the way. You will likely be assigned to 1-3 of these projects at a time, depending on their size. Each will be challenging in its own way, last for a different amount of time, and have different measures of success. You know your job is done when the product teams you are working with can carry the project forward without any further help from you. Then it's time to wrap up and take on the next project.
Clearly this is a very senior role that requires someone with both a broad background and a finely polished exterior. You will be highly visible in these projects, often working with the most senior members of the teams involved. You must be confident but not cocky. You must be the quiet storm that delivers consistently and with high quality; you must not be hurricane that leaves destruction in your wake. Although this position requires a very senior professional skill set, it's just as important to have the human skills to secure buy-in and gracefully negotiate change. Required Qualifications:
- 10 years of experience in technical leadership and/or technical product management roles, characterized by a steady progression of responsibility and project size and a history of delivering successful, high-quality software applications to market.
- 5 years experience in hands-on development, with 3 years of it in UI development
- Object oriented design and programming
- Expert in distributed systems
- Technical competency that is both solid and broad. You need to be very quick on the uptake when faced with novel technologies or technological problems.
- Outstanding project management or development management skills that have made a very visible difference within one or more large organizations.
- A substantial enough experience with product management to feel confident going into unknown technical or functional territory and rapidly making substantial contributions.
- A solid sense of what it takes for teams of various backgrounds and abilities to develop high-quality software products. And the organizational skills to make that happen.
- Comfort with rapidly adopting new platforms, learning new technologies, jumping between projects, and juggling multiple projects at once.
- Solid usability sensibilities. An unwavering insistence on user-centric design.
- A strong sense of what good software / a good application is and how to build it.
- A creative intellect complemented with an analytic and conceptual approach to problems. The ability to see both the big picture and the finest detail.
- Excellent communication skills are an absolute must. This position requires intensive writing, documenting, listening, and communicating with others. You must have an extraordinary ability to make complex topics clear.
- The ability to write clear and detailed specifications.
- Experience and comfort presenting in front of any crowd, even senior executives. Comfort evangelizing and advocating for projects.
- A good understanding of software development processes and a noteworthy history of helping teams out to improve them.
- A strong enough will to get things done but a soft enough style to gain buy-in from groups with diverse goals.
- A passion for what makes for successful projects and a knowledge of and aversion to what makes them fail.
- Ability to self-manage and self-start are a must. You will be asked to be progressively self-sufficient, to become an expert on your projects, and have a strong bias for action.
- Success within smaller start-up environments (complementing that in large corporations) is a tremendous plus.
- Demonstration of deep technical expertise in at least one specific discipline. The exact discipline isn't that important but you know what it means to go deep.
- SaaS / cloud application development
- Mobile application development
- Experience with Agile development
- Experience with declarative programming environments and/or rapid application development tools.
- Knowledge of software security
- Sales or marketing experience
Manage a team that acts as the central resource and driving force for the design, process, manufacturing, test, quality and marketing of product(s) as they move from conception to distribution. Organize interdepartmental activities ensuring completion of the project/product on schedule and within budget.
As a Director in the product development division, you will lead a team that defines product specifications and or strategy. Gather and analyze information to define product specifications and review design specifications. Envision and communicate product strategy and functionality. Initiate and foster relationships with other groups. Review product documentation and collateral. Ensure successful product releases based on corporate priorities.
Assists in the development of short, medium, and long term plans to achieve strategic objectives. Regularly interacts across functional areas with senior management or executives to ensure unit objectives are met. The ability to influence thinking or gain acceptance of others in sensitive situations is important. Demonstrated leadership and people management skills. Strong communication skills, analytical skills, thorough understanding of product development and product management. BS or MS degree or equivalent experience relevant to functional area. 8 of software engineering or related experience preferred.Oracle is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.