Gulf Coast Regional Medical Center
is a 218-bed acute-care hospital located in Panama City, FL. Its 460-member medical staff and more than 1,000 employees work hard to ensure its patients receive the highest quality of care every day. Their efforts have resulted in national accreditations for Chest Pain Center , Total Joint Replacement , Peripheral Vascular Disease , Spine , Stroke and Wound Care . The hospital was named a Top 100 Hospital by Truven Health Analytics and was awarded an "A" rating by The Leapfrog Group for four consecutive years. The hospital includes a 42-bed critical care wing, which includes a 20-bed adult-level Intensive Care Unit and the region's only four-bed Pediatric Intensive Care Unit and 18-bed Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit POSITION SUMMARY:
The Central Sterile Technician assists the Surgical Team by providing for the cleaning, sorting and assembling of all surgical instrument trays. Special detail is given to each tray to insure that all instruments are in perfect working order before the tray is sterilized and ready for use. The Central Sterile Technician is educated and understands the need for sterility and is proficient in all the types of sterilizers. In addition to these duties, the Central Sterile Technician provides equipment for patients on the floor keeps Crash Carts stocked and available and is able to set up all the many types of traction. The Central Sterile Technician is eligible for National Certification. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
Qualifications: EDUCATION REQUIRED AND/OR PREFERRED: LICENSURE/CERTIFICATION:
- Demonstrates knowledge and application of sterile technique, equipment and supplies needed for various surgical procedures.
- Communicates, interacts and participates in teamwork on the unit.
- Practices, endorses and provides customer service skills to patients, visitors, physicians and staff.
- Serves as the patient and family advocate with respect to the patients' right to privacy by protecting confidential information.
- Actively seeks ways to control costs without compromising patient safety, quality of care or the services delivered.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the occurrence reporting system. Uses system to report potential patient safety issues.
- Follows established guidelines for reporting a significant medical error or unanticipated outcome
- in the patient's care which results in harm.
- Attends in-service presentations and completes all mandatory educations requirements.
- Uses Performance Improvement Plan to improve patient safety.
- Regular, Punctual and Dependable Attendance.
- Demonstrates responsibility for receiving, sorting, cleaning and sterilizing supplies and equipment from various patient care areas, maintaining required documentation logs.
- Properly disposes of contaminated items in the decontamination area.
- Applies principles of aseptic technique and initiates corrective action for any break in technique.
- Understands different cleaning techniques for different items.
- Sorts, assembles and inspects instrument trays reporting all defects/damage.
- Demonstrates knowledge and use of different types of sterilizers.
- Properly maintains sterilizers
- Loads and unloads sterilizers appropriately, arrange sets, trays and peel packs for maximum exposure during sterilization cycle
- Demonstrates understanding of safety/emergency procedures and performs responsibilities safely.
- Maintains crash carts and immediately exchanges upon request.
- Assists in maintenance of work area and reports safety concerns to supervisor.
- Demonstrates the ability to trouble shoot and clean all durable equipment used for patient care.
- Demonstrates ability to set up traction.
EXPERIENCE REQUIRED OR PREFERRED:
- Eligible for National Certification. Certified Sterilization & Distribution Technician
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES:
- Experience in CSS or completion a CST program preferred.
COMPETENCIES REQUIRED TO PERFORM CORE FUNCTIONS:
- Customer service abilities including effective listening skills
- Critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to perform work that requires frequent standing, bending, reaching, squatting, kneeling , moving lifting of patients and /or equipment up to 50lbs.
- Possesses the ability to work as a member of a team or independently as the situation requires and to prioritize responsibilities.
- Demonstrates ability to use all sterilizing processes.
- Knowledge of all surgical instruments available
- Knowledge and demonstration of cleaning techniques
- Able to assemble all trays according to tray cards.
An EEO/AA Employer M/F/V/D. Tobacco Free Campus