What you’ll be doing...
The goal of the Senior Security Engineer is to support global transitions and implementations for managed security customers. The primary responsibility is to design, implement, and maintain firewall infrastructure including Check Point, Palo Alto, and ASA firewalls. You’ll collaborate with the network engineering and project management teams to create and implement custom solutions that adhere as closely as possible to existing design standards.
- Research and analysis for planning, organizing, and managing project related network security tasks
- Under minimal supervision, this engineer will be responsible for translating functional business requirements into a technical solution that conforms to global design standards.
- Research developments in their assigned technology disciplines, determines business requirements, proposes changes, and develops migration and implementation plans as needed
- Understand and effectively articulate the implications and impact that proposed architectural changes will have on the business (to technical and nontechnical audiences)
- The engineer will develop lab scenarios to mock user environments and test components of proposed solutions.
- Install, test, maintain, and upgrade network operating systems software and hardware in accordance with Release Management requirements
- Provide input into the security technology plan for the organization, and ensures that plans for their assigned technology discipline integrate effectively with other aspects of the technical infrastructure
- Deliver detailed project documentation to both the customer and operations that fully describes new implementations and is used as the primary reference for day-to-day management
- Support large scale infrastructure migrations and baseline reviews; inclusive of firewall rule implementation and associated application validation support
- Support changes in strict accordance with customer's change management policies
- Gain knowledge and experience in other network security technologies
- Propose appropriate changes to standards, policies, and procedures based on emerging business/technology trends and operational challenges with the existing guidelines utilizing performance metrics and operational SLAs as justification
- In addition to the design and consultation responsibilities, this role will also perform implementation and delivery of new firewalls including refresh and migration activities, support the operations teams on escalated incidents, and support off-hours maintenance activities for release management and changes associated with assigned projects
- Conduct presentations via training sessions, web pages, or 1-to-1 training to the floor engineers on designs that are being implemented
What we’re looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Four or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience in firewall implementation, design, and support.
- Experience designing, implementing, and supporting environments that include two or more of the following: Enterprise Gateway architectures including: Firewalls (Check Point, Palo Alto, ASA, Fortinet); Application Proxies (Bluecoat, Iron Port, Trendmicro); Global and Local load balancing (F5, Cisco ACE, Citrix Netscaler); SSL RAS ( Pulse Secure, Juniper, F5); Enterprise Management tools (Smart-1, Provider-1, Panorama, Forti-Manager, BC Director, and/or F5 Big-IQ)
- Willingness to work off hours to support planned maintenance window activities.
- ITIL v3 Foundation certification achieved within the first 6 months of start date.
Even Better If You Have:
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- 3+ years focused on configuration, deployment, and administration of Checkpoint firewalls versions R77.0, R75.46, R80 and/or Palo Alto firewalls.
- Experience creating firewall implementation plans, firewall rule and policy configurations, firewall code upgrades and migrations, and deployment of new firewall builds for Check Point, Palo Alto, or ASA technologies.
- Comfort accessing and utilizing CLI functions of a Palo Alto Firewalls and Panorama management system.
- Strong understanding of industry trends in all areas of Information Security.
- Security Industry Certifications such as PCNSE, CISSP, CHFI, CEH, CCNP, CCNA.
- Experienced in Engineering, implementing and troubleshooting Panorama M-500 appliances.
- Experience with implementing and supporting various Palo Alto Firewall modules such as Wildfire, Threat Prevention, URL Filtering and Antivirus.
- Firewall lifecycle management.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills and ability to identify root causes of issues and provide solutions.
- Experience working in 24 x 7 centers with complex, high transaction, high availability environments.
- In depth understanding of networking technologies, eg. Cisco routers and switches.
- Excellent written and verbal skills.
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills, both oral and written, with the ability to articulate and educate others about complex technology with business acumen.
- A strong, multi-discipline, operations and implementations background with emphasis on supporting business critical environments.
- In depth knowledge of external services environments including SSL certificate exchange, Remote access solutions, and Business to Business interconnects.
- Experience working within Federal or Public Regulatory Agency guidelines such as FINRA, PCI-DSS, NERC-CIP helpful
- System knowledge including ESP, ETMS, SMARTS and SevOne.
When you join Verizon...
You’ll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America’s fastest and most reliable network, we’re leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we’re about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status. Different makes us better.
A little about us:
Verizon is one of the largest communication technology companies in the world.