In Soda Springs, we produce elemental phosphorous, a key component to ensuring farmers are more productive--something that's becoming increasingly important in our growing world. We currently have an opening for a Chemical Engineering co-op for Fall 2018 at this location.
As a key member of our Manufacturing Team, you will be working with an onsite experienced Process Engineer learning chemical process knowledge, scheduling, logistics, product quality, and engineering support to our manufacturing areas. Responsibilities also include maintaining the production schedule via working with production planning and other engineering units. This can include statistical monitoring of production metrics and identification, definition, and cost analysis of improvement projects. This role will also provide technical support along with other engineers to troubleshoot and solve problems impacting raw material yields, capacity, quality, environmental compliance, and safety. In addition, to help identify cost savings and on-stream time improvements by tracking key performance indicators (KPI's).
Working with an onsite experienced Process Engineer, responsibilities may include the following:
- Monitor and analyze operating data from the manufacturing process using statistical tools, both proactively (statistical quality/process control) and reactively (troubleshooting).
- Project engineering and management includes scope, plan and schedule, detailed design, cost estimating and tracking, construction and startup.
- Track and manage key performance indicators and conversion costs pertinent to monthly raw material usage, product volumes, and inventory and technical practices.
- Initiate and implement cost and process improvements.
- Provide process control auditing on performance metrics and troubleshooting support to production personnel as needed to identify and correct problems that impact raw material yields, capacity, safety, and product quality.
- Create and maintain process, safety, and environmental documentation, including process flow diagrams, operating instructions, management of change (MOC) forms, etc.
- Exhibit a strong safety ethic through coaching or engineered improvements.
- Assist manufacturing leadership in identifying improvements related to raw material yields, capacity, energy, quality, product safety and the environment.
- Support preventative maintenance and equipment reliability programs and other plant wide initiatives.
- Communicate closely with and train, as needed, area operations personnel.
Desired Skills/Experience (Considered a Plus):
- Pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering
- 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale
- Willing to accept a variable work schedule
- Training or coursework in Six Sigma principles; six sigma belts
- Delta V configuration experience
- Experience or training in project definition, design, process control and optimization, and statistics
- MS Excel macro development experience
A little about us:
At Monsanto, we believe that diverse perspectives solve big challenges and deliver a broad range of solutions to help nourish our growing world.