The Production Engineer is responsible for the optimization and daily support of chemical processes at the Monsanto Luling Plant. Position will report to a Unit Supervisor. III RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide process control auditing on performance metrics and troubleshooting support to production personnel as needed to identify and correct problems that impact raw material yields, capacity, safety, and product quality.
- Create/maintain process, safety, and environmental documentation, including process flow diagrams, operating instructions, management of change (MOC) forms, etc.
- Analyze data utilizing statistical tools.
- Assist manufacturing leadership in identifying improvements related to raw material yields, capacity, energy, quality, product safety and the environment.
- Provide technical assistance on daily operations activities and issues.
- Support on stream time and downtime tracking efforts, identifying improvement opportunities.
- Participate as a member of area and plant teams, including safety, optimization, World Class Maintenance (WCM), etc.
- Communicate closely with area operations personnel and as needed, provide technical training.
- Work closely with area personnel to monitor and improve the efficiency, output, quality and safety of the unit.
- Review process and lab data to see if corrections to the process are warranted.
- Identify and report process safety near misses.
- Monitor ongoing environmental performance of the unit to ensure regulatory compliance.
- Support execution of Environmental Compliance Duties including area release reviews and reporting.
- Manage product quality.
- Troubleshoot problems as they arise.
- Guide & mentor production technicians.
- Support unit leadership in the oversight of start up and shutdown for major events.
- Provide on-call area support.
- Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering
- At least 2-5 years of experience working as a Chemical Engineer (including intern/coop assignments)
- Intermediate proficiency in Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Ability to work as an individual contributor and as part of a diverse team composed of fellow engineers, operations, personnel, and leadership
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written
- Strong decision-making and problem solving skills
- Ability to work on and balance multiple assignments and priorities
- Must be able to perform work in a manufacturing environment, which includes ascending and descending stairs and ladders
- Strong safety ethic
- Previous engineering experience in manufacturing, engineering or related field
- Knowledge of batch/continuous process control techniques and unit operations, either Provox or Delta V.
- Ability to apply statistics and Six-Sigma tools in a manufacturing environment
- Experience or training in project definition, design and process control
A little about us:
At Monsanto, we believe that diverse perspectives solve big challenges and deliver a broad range of solutions to help nourish our growing world.