Job ResponsibilitiesPet360 - Company Overview
Pet360 Media, the digital publishing and advertising subsidiary of PetSmart,is one of the fastest growing and largest digital media businesses in the U.S. Headquartered in Philadelphia with offices in NYC, Miami, and Chicago we are looking to expand our exceptional team by adding superior talent that enjoys an innovative, entrepreneurial publishing environment where change is encouraged and impact is instantly visible. The company is backed by leading private equity and venture capital firms and is well capitalized to continue our exceptional growth. Our primary websites include: www.petMD.com
, www.PawCulture.com , www.AllPaws.com , www.Petcha.com , www.ReptilesMagazine.com , and www.Blogpaws.com and reach over 22,000,000 pet owners each month!
We are an agile software development shop, leveraging Scrum & Kanban, user stories, short release cycles, test-driven development (TDD) and continuous integration, to drive the evolution of our publishing, social, ad serving and data applications.
Does the following sound like you?
….business-oriented with pride in the ability of their team to keep things running
...enjoys taking responsibility for projects
...collaborates to produce the best solutions and to communicate ideas clearly
...takes the initiative to solve problems
...thrives in a fast paced environment
We're looking for someone who is:A Leader
: This is a self-driven position in a company that does not subscribe to micro-management. The right leader can take this position in new directions with the buy-in of senior leadership.Business Focused:
You have an obsessive focus on shipping software that improves the lives of your users and the business of your company.
Publisher-Oriented: You understand that a publishing business has a unique need to serve both the user and the advertiser, and can shift priorities to constantly rebalance the work being done.Pragmatic:
You're not religious about any particular technology or methodology. You've worked with many, and you probably have strong opinions, but you use what is best for the project at hand.Humble:
You don't feel the need to prove how smart you are by writing your own ORM. You make responsible (often boring) technology decisions at work, and play with crazy new things at home.Relentlessly Resourceful:
Simply put, you get stuff done. You don't ask for permission to do your job. When you're blocked, you figure out how to get unblocked.
We don't care about your major or your GPA. We care about what you've done and what you can do. As a member of the Technology Team, you'll be responsible for improving our existing applications (which are visited by over 22 million pet parents each month), building engaging new consumer experiences, and helping to build a world-class engineering culture.Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contribute to business planning by understanding the fiscal revenue goals of the publishing business and setting a realistic roadmap for getting there, without sacrificing quality of product.
- Lead and mentor team to maximize productivity, efficiency and engagement of the team as a whole. Minimize roadblocks and maximize opportunities to keep all members of the team productive, engaged, and fulfilled in their roles. Mentor team understanding and "buy in" in Pet360's strategic business and foundational goals by finding ways to include your team directly in larger decisions being made in partnership with other departments.
- Create a commitment to delivering high quality, unit-tested code, resolving defects quickly and thoroughly, and proactive collaboration with the team to improve their systems knowledge and testing plans.
- Mentor professional growth and day-to-day operational logistics for your team, including new hire recruitment/orientation, expense reporting/time off, resource scheduling and project management, technical training/skills growth, and morale at an individual as well as team level.
- Foster an environment of collaboration and trust between your team, the Product Management group, and senior business leadership. This includes providing credible "good faith" estimates, a balanced and fair presentation of solution alternatives, and a proactive culture of suggesting and implementing enhancements that will make our products more successful. This will also include adhereing to campaign-driven timelines at times.
- Require 10+ years' experience in software development, project management, systems development
- Requires 5+ years of managing software development teams
- High degree of both technical expertise and business acumen, including developing models and business cases
- Understanding of modern software architecture and methodologies, including Agile (Kanban, Scrum, XP)
- Understanding of modern publishing and ad serviing platforms, risks, and business practices
- Deep technical expertise and proven ability to be a subject matter expert on a variety of technologies
- Strong communication skills to work with cross-functional teams including architecture, development and operations teams
- Ability to synthesize complex information and concepts to keep a team focused on end goals
- Strong results-orientation combined with excellent judgment and problem solving skills; track record of product success
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and presentation skills
- Expertise communicating progress at each phase of development as appropriate, including published roadmaps, user stories, sprint review presentations, progress charts
- Proven ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a team-oriented, collaborative work place
- Ability to maintain confidentiality with sensitive customer and internal information
- Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
Self-reliant, articulate, approachable and comfortable with a rapidly changing environment
If you're a devoted pet parent or an animal lover, you'll find a company that truly supports its associates and empowers them to succeed. Join us to help create a better world for pets and our pet parents.