At MetLife, we're leading the global transformation of an industry we've long defined. United in purpose, diverse in perspective, we're dedicated to making a difference in the lives of our customers.
MetLife, through its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a global provider of life insurance, annuities, employee benefits and asset management with operations in nearly 50 countries and leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East. With a proven track record of financial strength and delivering on promises since 1868, the company prides itself on helping people plan for their future by protecting what matters most - their families and their achievements.
With 2015 total Operating Revenues of ~$70 billion, MetLife is ranked #39 on the Fortune 500 list and #50 on the Forbes Global 2000 list of the world's largest public companies. Globally, the company has ~69,000 employees serving approximately 100 million customers, individuals and businesses, including 90 of the FORTUNE 100®. MetLife is also one of the largest institutional investors in the U.S. with a $508.2 billion general account portfolio at December 31, 2015. In 2015, FORTUNE Magazine's World's Most Admired Company survey named MetLife #1 in the Life and Health Insurance industry.
MetLife is an ambitious company with the scale, scope and talent to lead the transformation of the insurance and employee benefits industry, driving world-class standards of performance around the globe. Launched in 2012 by MetLife Chairman, President and CEO Steven A. Kandarian, the company's enterprise strategy is based on four cornerstones : Refocus the U.S. Business, Grow Emerging Markets, Build the Global Employee Benefits Business and Drive Toward Customer Centricity and a Global Brand. Concrete actions are well underway in each of these strategic focus areas, including moving to a horizontally integrated global operating model to help drive greater leverage of technology and operations and the more consistent application of functional priorities across global markets.
As One MetLife, the company has defined common values shared across the enterprise: Put Customers First, Be the Best, Make Things Easier, and Succeed Together . These values guide how employees operate every day and are reflected in the company's commitment to creating a world-class organization which places a high value on motivational leadership, engaged talent, and customer focus. LOB/ GLOBAL FUNCTION
MetLife Investments is a premier asset manager with breadth across various asset sectors and global markets, and strong asset-liability management capabilities. With a $450 billion combined domestic and international general account portfolio and a multi-billion dollar annual cash flow, Investments is an important contributor to MetLife's financial performance. The primary objective of Investments is to maximize MetLife's long-term economic value by investing in assets that support the company's liabilities and produce a consistent stream of operating earnings. DEPARTMENT:
Global Portfolio Management (GPM): responsible for developing global macro strategies related to the world's economies and markets, managing portfolio assets and developing asset-liability management strategies for over $475 billion of general account assets. Global Portfolio Management has regional offices in Hong Kong, London, and Santiago, as well as investments professionals located in 18 country offices, responsible for managing MetLife's general account investment portfolios across the international affiliates, providing a critical component of the asset-liability management and credit origination process. THE ROLE:
Reporting to MetLife's Head of the Global Portfolio Management Group, the Chief Market Strategist must be an exceptional communicator and business partner who will combine objective and flexible thinking and sound empirical research/analysis.Key Relationships:
Reports to: SVP - Head of Global Portfolio Management
Direct Reports: 4
Other Key Stakeholders: CIO, Investments Leadership team Location:
Morristown Key Responsibilities
Reporting to MetLife's Head of the Global Portfolio Management Group, the Chief Market Strategist must be an exceptional communicator and business partner who will combine objective and flexible thinking and sound empirical research/analysis. The Chief Market Strategist will have the following responsibilities:
CANDIDATE QUALIFICATIONS: Business Knowledge/Technical Skills:
- In conjunction with Regional Strategists, formulate MetLife's global macroeconomic and market outlook that will help to shape MetLife's global portfolio management and business decisions.
- Develop asset allocation and relative value strategies based on these views across major global markets in conjunction with other members of MetLife's Investments.
- Effectively communicate the economic and market base views and risks to base views to Investments Associates, Business Partners, MetLife Investment Management clients, MetLife's Executive Group and MetLife's Board Investment Committee.
- Assist Asset Management and Portfolio Strategy teams in quantitative analysis and special projects, including the maintenance of an economic and market database.
- Lead and manage the formulation and coordination of economic and market assumptions that are used in various actuarial, finance and other business processes.
- 10+ years of experience as a macro or relative value strategist/economist (both buy-side and sell-side backgrounds will be considered)
- Exceptionally strong and flexible written and oral communication and presentation skills
- Comprehensive familiarity with macroeconomic concepts, data and software tools (such as Haver Analytics, Thompson Data Stream, econometric models)
- Experience in managing assets in one or more asset markets (e.g. credit, rates, equity)
- Ability to work well with people at all levels and disciplines within MetLife
- Strong teamwork-driven attitude - reasonable and flexible
- Strong people management and organization skills
- Demonstrated attention to detail and the proven ability to meet stringent time constraints
- Knowledge of current events/trends impacting business issues (e.g. macro-economic, socio-political, industry)
- Advanced degree (Masters or PhD) in Finance or Economics is required
- CFA and/or CMT desirable
- Ability to use statistical packages e.g. (EViews, Matlab) is desirable
- Customer facing experience desirable
(Choose 3-4 of the most relevant MetLife Leadership Competencies, and, as needed, further tailor the competency to reflect the specific requirement in this role.)
- Thinks Strategically - Sets direction aligned to the company's strategy, applying external and global perspective to meet local and global needs.
- Motivates People - Gains people commitment to achieve business objectives through clear communication of the company's vision and flexing leadership styles to inspire high performance.
- Creates Partnerships - Authentically builds trusted relationships and collaborates across global, diverse and multi-functional teams to successfully drive business objectives.
- Seizes Opportunity - Seeks new opportunities and ways to create balanced business growth while improving operational capabilities.
- Grows Talent - Inclusively and pro-actively develops talent, empowers individuals and manages diverse teams to drive engagement and performance.
- Models our Values - Creates a culture that promotes the company's values and standards through role modeling, accountability and ownership of decisions.
- Focuses on Customers - Promotes customer centricity and ensures focus on creating great customer experiences to achieve competitive advantage.
- Drives Results - Sets aggressive goals and is accountable for continuously driving improved performance, leading change and ensuring high standards.
MetLife is a proud equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to attracting, retaining, and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is MetLife's policy to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, martial or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.
MetLife is a proud equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to attracting, retaining, and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is MetLife's policy to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace. Note to Mobile Users: If viewing on a mobile device and would like to apply, please email the job to yourself and complete the application from a desktop/laptop. Note to Desktop/Laptop Users: For immediate consideration, click Apply Now button below. You will be directed to complete an on-line profile which takes 10 - 15 minutes to complete. Upon completion, you will receive an automated confirmation email verifying you have successfully applied to the job. Internal Use Only: 16A
MetLife offers life insurance, disability income insurance, car insurance, employee benefits and more.