Network & Security Engineering Job Number:
The "Chief Network Engineer (Architect) - Data Center, WAN and SDN)" role will provide senior expertise and thought leadership to help drive the strategic development of the company's data communications network infrastructure. This is a critical role within Visa's network organization responsible for the planning, architecture design, development, and maintenance of existing/future networks to deliver best-in-class network performance, availability and resource utilization, leveraging state-of-the-art networking technologies including virtualization and software-defined networking (SDN). The successful candidate will work with various leaders across the enterprise to coordinate network solutions to meet challenges of technology, regulatory, security, and competitive conditions.
This position reports to the Senior Director, Infrastructure Network Architecture and is a key role within the Visa's Global Infrastructure Network Services organization. The role can be based in Foster City (CA), Highlands Ranch (CO), Ashburn (VA) or Austin (TX).
This is an exciting opportunity for a senior technology leader to make key contributions to Visa's strategic vision for the evolution and transformation of the company's global networks toward next-generation technologies. Job Scope:
The successful candidate will provide senior technical leadership in several network architecture areas of expertise (e.g. datacenter networking, IP, SDN and cloud), and will develop and execute new initiatives to drive growth, reduce cost, increase reliability and increase global synergy for Visa's networks. (S)/He will work collaboratively with other functional and technology areas of Visa and senior leaders in various global markets to define and execute business priorities.
The successful candidate will have responsibility and accountability across several key areas, including:
- Network architecture, strategy and roadmap
- Innovation and emerging technologies
- Proof-of-Concept projects, lab trials, vendor/technology evaluation
- Customer/partner engagements
More specifically, the primary responsibilities include the following:
- Lead the development of network evolution use cases and long-term network architecture scenarios in collaboration with stakeholders, partners and customers.
- Drive implementation of proof-of-concept projects and lab trials from concept to delivery with a focus on new technologies, particularly virtualization & software-defined networks (SDN).
- Develop network evolution roadmaps. Identify and assess technology trends and articulate technology recommendations.
- Provide subject matter expertise in interactions with partners and customers, program manage collaboration projects externally and internally.
- Mentor/manage and motivate high-performing network architects and technologists and set clear priorities to achieve department goals.
- Manage oversight of multiple highly complex technology solutions based on a combination of vendors, custom solutions, and internal resources.
- Decision making authority is broad and can have significant material impact on cost, business planning and success of Visa's core business.
- Collaborate with network engineering and network/security operations teams. Make recommendations on next-generation capabilities to support new business opportunities.
- Ensure that Information Security and risk management are embedded within the culture requiring continuous improvement to a complex set of functions to coordinate security and compliance risks related to information systems and assets. Drive coordination, consensus and execution to mitigate cyber risk issues and emerging threats in such a dynamic environment.
- Determine need and make recommendations for new technologies and vendor solutions based on Visa's network vision and strategy, leveraging the latest developments in the industry.
- Lead development of innovation and strategic direction in application of theories and concepts in data network design, configuration, administration, maintenance and/or support.
- Analyze network from a cost, capacity, and forecast perspective, and evaluate new network technologies and applications.
- Develop strategic roadmaps to ensure network operations goals are met.
- Work closely with other departments to proactively ensure the network is capable of handling emerging or future business requirements.
- Comfort in working through corporate culture with purpose and energy to promote unified approach.
- Establish standards and governance in future acquisitions to mitigate risk and maximize network stability.
The ideal candidate should be a senior technology leader with substantial experience in network architecture and design, and exceptional technology leadership skills. S/he will have relevant experience within a large, complex managed technology services organization.
The following qualifications are required for the role:
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity
- Prior experience in next-generation network/product architecture design for large-scale network deployments for high-volume, high-availability consumer-facing and B2B network interactions.
- Experience working with highly-effective engineering teams through major technology transitions.
- Prior experience in driving and leading enterprise technology and cultural transformation programs.
- Demonstrated networking technical knowledge with a solid understanding of leading commercial vendor portfolios, Open Source technology including networking solutions for OpenStack and the software-defined networking ecosystem.
- Prior experience in a dedicated role around defining network strategy.
- Demonstrated consistent and steady growth in career.
- Prior experience in non-Cisco networking technologies.
- Hands-on experience in designing and deploying large scale-out network technologies.
- Experience in managing cost-reduction programs.
- Great communicator and able to drive consensus across diverse/global technology teams.
- Must have strong and pragmatic views about open standards and with supporting evidence.
- Track record in developing next-generation leaders.
- Demonstrated successful experience with metrics/KPI-based deliverables with accountability.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or related field.
. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind - making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose
that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do: Our VisaNet network processes over 13,000 transactions per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks. We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa's sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity
to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code .
As a global company at the forefront of the electronic payments industry, Visa is a dynamic organization.