The Dow Chemical Company has an exciting opportunity in our Technical Expertise & Support for Engineering Solutions & Maintenance (TES) Department for a Civil/Structural Engineer at our Houston Dow Center location in Houston, TX. This role is predominately responsible for civil/structural design (i.e., Structural Steel, Concrete Foundations, Piling, Pipe Supports, etc). The successful candidate will work on design and improvement projects of current and yet to be developed facilities around the world. He/She will work with Lead Engineers and Designers to aid in the development and assembly of contract packages in accordance with the project schedule. The successful candidate will be expected to quickly learn and effectively apply the Dow design tools, work processes, standards, and best practices.
- Self-starter with initiative, effective oral, written and electronic communication skills, and organization skills.
- Work on projects and work well in a team environment.
- Assist with the Scope development during FEL/Project Definition Phase
- Work on the development of Civil Design Packages using SP3D modeling software as well as Microstation.
- Help with the creation of all required project documentation, including Civil Drawings, Demolition Photo Documents, Civil Job Instructions).
- Working knowledge of Discipline standards, practices, and details
- Provide overall responsibility for Code compliance and Structural Steel connection approval
- Work independently and/or lead projects utilizing multiple Civil Designers, interfacing with manufacturing or maintenance personnel, other engineering disciplines, vendors, and suppliers as needed
- Has a strong working knowledge of the Microsoft suite of tools including Microsoft Word / Excel / Power Point / Outlook
- Create electronic drawings to scale indicating coordinates, dimensions, material specifications, and other standard information
- Ability to plan and organize work effectively to meet Project milestones
- Archive and retrieve drawings using archive tools.
- Plot drawings and organize packages according to package standards before delivering to client.
- Has an understanding of design package standards.
- Support Civil Construction activities with clarification and/or technical support
- Support of Plant Operations and Maintenance as needed.
- Optimize resources and allocation
- Monitor discipline performance and identify gap closure plans
- Drive performance improvements for the discipline.
- A minimum of 8 years of civil/structural engineering work experience is required, but prefer 10 or more years.
- Professional Engineering License required
- Prior experience in the Chemical, Petrochemical, Oil and Gas, or Energy industry is required - preferably past experience with Dow through a contract agency.
- Ability to work with a wide variety of personnel, including other detail design disciplines and personnel from diverse cultures.
- Proficient use of Civil Engineering Design tools is required.
- Excellent communication (written and oral in English) and interpersonal skills
- Strong team player
- Experience in managing priorities and timelines simultaneously
- Must be able to do field work in an operating chemical plant, take field measurements, and climb stairs and ladders.
- A minimum requirement for this U.S. based position is the ability to work legally in the United States. No visa sponsorship/support is available for this position, including for any type of U.S. permanent residency (green card) process.
- Bachelor of Science in Civil/Structural Engineering is required
- Masters Degree in Civil Engineering or Construction Administration is preferred
DowDuPont (NYSE: DWDP) is a holding company comprised of The Dow Chemical Company and DuPont with the intent to form strong, independent, publicly traded companies in agriculture, materials science and specialty products sectors that will lead their respective industries through productive, science-based innovation to meet the needs of customers and help solve global challenges. For more information, please visit us at www.dow-dupont.com .
The positions represented by this job posting are aligned to one of the three divisions, Agriculture, Materials Science or Specialty Products, which are expected to separate from DowDuPont into stand-alone public companies. Information on the division alignment will be provided during the recruitment process.
- Competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits
- An annual variable pay program that rewards team and individual performance while sharing success across the company
- Employee stock ownership - and the commitment to long-term success that it brings
- On-going learning opportunities within a diverse, inclusive and rewarding work environment
- Career experiences that can span different Dow businesses and functions with opportunities for personal and professional growth
- The chance to work within a global company and interact with colleagues from around the world
- Opportunities that spark your imagination and ignite your passion to help others
- Dow is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Dow is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at http://www.dow.com/en-us/contact-us , you may call us at 1+800-523-3945 and select Option 1, or send a facsimile request to 1+989-636-3674.
A little about us:
Join the Dow team in creating innovative solutions for human progress. A career with us is an invitation to explore, create and make valuable contributions to human progress. We’re a global team of problem-solvers, impacting everything from safe bridges, to fresh food.