About Good Samaritan Hospital Good Samaritan Hospital
is a 474 bed acute care hospital in the heart of Silicon Valley, with two locations, the main campus in San Jose, California and the Mission Oaks campus in Los Gatos, California. Recognized nationally for quality and safety, it has an 'A' from The Leapfrog Group and has been voted a "Family Favorite" hospital for more than ten years. It is one of only ten hospitals nationwide to be awarded the Outstanding Achievement Award from the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer four consecutive times. Good Samaritan is a leader in neurosciences, high-risk obstetrics, advanced cardiology and innovative surgery techniques, and is a Joint Commission-certified Comprehensive Stroke Center and an accredited Chest Pain Center. The Health Information Management (HIM) teams are dedicated with excellent services for patients at Good Samaritan Hospital. Interested in joining this team? Apply online now. Schedule: 0.001, PRN - Per Diem Shift: Variable, As Needed. Internal Posting Period: March 28, 2017 - April 4, 2017
Performs the following principal duties as assigned:
Processes requests for patient information in response to subpoena or proper written authorization.
Performs secondary analysis on patient records after completion and notifies physicians of remaining deficiencies and performs physician suspension and notification process in accordance with Medical Staff policies and department procedures.
Conducts self and communicates with staff, physicians, other departments, and the public, in such a way that promotes positive morale, professional, and a knowledgeable image of the department. Under general supervision:
1. Processes requests for patient information in response to subpoenas or proper written
authorizations, in accordance with hospital policy and legal requirements.
2. Maintains locked files as appropriate
3. Monitors workflow and makes recommendations about more effective procedures.
4. May consult with other hospital departments regarding release of patient identifiable information.
5. May appear as Custodian of Records for testimony in court proceedings.
6. Communicates as appropriate with attorneys and other copy services regarding requests and subpoenas.
7. Answer telephones and acts as department receptionist as needed.
8. Orients and trains new staff.
9. Conducts secondary analysis after physician completion and notifies physicians of remaining deficiencies.
10. Completes weekly notification and processing of the records deficiency system to assure compliance with Medical Staff Rules and Regulations
11. Assists physicians with questions concerning completion of records and suspension process, researches and resolves questions relating to missing documentation.
12. Notifies physicians of record deficiencies.
13. Monitors fax logs for completion and contacts physicians if necessary.
14. Performs a section and outguide audit on a monthly basis ensuring only appropriate documents and records are being maintained in the incomplete file.
15. Greets and assists callers, visitors, physicians, and other staff promptly professionally and courteously.
16. Interacts with callers and visitors in such a manner that provides a positive, caring, professional image.
17. Prioritizes work based on patient care/department needs.
18. Participates in, or completes all required in-service training or education in a timely manner
19. Meets productivity corporate guidelines
20. Submits weekly productivity reports.
21. Participates in, or completes all required in-service training or education in a timely manner.
22. Performs all assigned functions in compliance with department quality standards and productivity goals.
Performs other related duties as assigned to ensure smooth functioning department, assisting in relief capacity or as regularly assigned duties. Qualifications: QUALIFICATIONS Minimum knowledge, skills and abilities required:
- One semester or equivalent experience in use of computers and one college level semester of medical terminology required.
- Position requires high visibility with Medical Staff and with customers such as patients and attorneys and necessitates maintenance of cordial, professional style of communication.
- Mental application involving variations in procedure and frequent interruptions. Some exacting concentration required.
- Works with productivity expectations and deadlines to meet departmental goals.
- This position consists of primarily, sitting, with some walking, reaching, light lifting and sufficient manual dexterity to file/retrieve records and operate office machines and computers.
- Good vision is required to read reports and records and operate office machines safely.
- Uses typical office equipment including computers, printers, copiers, fax machines, telephones and dictation equipment.
- Inappropriate release of information could have serious consequences for the patient, hospital, medical staff or employee. Inappropriate access to patient records or release of information could result in disciplinary action up to and including termination.
- Appropriate caution must be exercised when using such equipment to prevent damage and/or injury to self or others.
- Minimum 2 years experience in acute hospital Health Information Management or medical experience in other healthcare organization.
- Ability to learn and utilize computerized patient care management system.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions. Must effectively read, write and verbally communicate in the English language.
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom