Client Operations Prime Brokerage Executive Director - Institutional Securities Group
Company: Morgan Stanley
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posted: November 28, 2017
Reference ID: 3101258
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Operations is one of the largest divisions in the firm and has diverse responsibilities, including correctly settling and recording millions of transactions per day, identifying and mitigating all operational risks, developing strong client relationships and partnering with technology to realize the full potential of IT and e-solutions. Throughout, the Operations department continually seeks ways to improve while actively supporting the development of new businesses, structures and markets.
Institutional Securities Group (ISG) Product Operations encompasses two functionally aligned organizations. The first, Trading & Client Operations, provides Operations functions in direct support of activity executed by Institutional Sales &Trading. The second, Clearing Operations, provides Operations functions in direct support for activity cleared by Morgan Stanley on behalf of our clients in Prime Brokerage, Listed Derivatives, and OTC Derivatives. The broad organization partners closely with Sales and Trading to develop and implement new products and services as well as drive efficiency and reduce risk in our processes. At all times we are focused on delivering quality service to clients both internal and external. ISG Product Operations partners closely with Shared Services and Banking Operations as well as Branch Operations and Operations Risk & Control to deliver a connected 'front to back' view of operations to ISG Sales and Trading.
The NA Head of Prime Brokerage Operations will partner with senior members of Prime Brokerage Sales and Client Service on various industry, client, and market initiatives. This includes various regulatory requests, new product proposals, and general day-to-day business escalation.
This role provides oversight, management and mitigation across the following key risk categories:
Process Risk: through adherence with relevant policies and procedures, process re-engineering and monitoring of key performance and risk indicators
People Risk: through review of workload versus resource and the support of recruitment, retention and training of staff and focus on attrition, capacity and depth chart metrics.
Technology and Security Risk: through review of technology plant stability, turnover process management and focus on entitlements, segregation of duties and general data protection.
Regulatory Risk: through control of regulatory reporting, management of regulatory communications and review of current regulation to ensure continued compliance
Business Continuity Risk: through appropriate planning and effective management of issues as they arise
Upcoming Regulatory Change Risk: through review of upcoming regulatory requirements and effective delivery of compliance programs.
The role holder should take reasonable steps to meet the following expectations (directly or via appropriate delegation). These are in addition to any expectations outlined within divisional competency frameworks (where applicable):
- Deliver performance consistent with agreed personal and business goals
- Act in accordance with and promote the Firm's values, culture, ethics and conduct expectations
- Maintain standards of technical and/ or product knowledge as needed to fulfill the requirements of the role.
- As part of the senior leadership team within the Global PB Operations organization, required to define, plan and influence the strategic direction for the broader NA PB Operations group
- Cross product exposure and responsibility for all operations functions within NA PB Operations
- Budget responsibilities for multiple cost centers including identifying and implementing cost saving initiatives
- Risk management responsibilities for related functions for NA
Systems and Controls
- Identify key risks and/or challenges associated with delivering the department's objectives. Develop approaches for managing, monitoring and/or mitigating these risks and challenges.
- Understand the relevant systems and controls utilized (including maintaining relevant knowledge of IT systems). Ensure that such systems and controls are assessed on a periodic basis and enhanced as appropriate.
- Adhere to Morgan Stanley Group's policies and procedures (including BU/ Function-specific policies and procedures).
Leadership and Management
- Where you delegate aspects of your role, taking into account the delegate's capacity, competence and knowledge, ensure that the delegate understands his or her delegation responsibilities. Follow up on delegated tasks as appropriate (including meeting with delegates on a periodic basis to monitor performance).
- Ensure that team members receive appropriate training on Firm policies and procedures applicable to their activities.
- Promote professional development and continuous improvement amongst staff
- Review and monitor the performance of staff within your supervisory remit, including through the development of appropriate metrics/data.
- Take clear and prompt action in relation to any performance or behavior of staff that does not meet the Firm expectations. Provide continuous constructive feedback to direct reports. Ensure that effective feedback is being provided throughout to the individuals within the team.
- Work with your Senior Manager to develop effective metrics and escalation protocols to demonstrate the appropriate discharge of delegated responsibilities.
- Responsible for networking and partnering with the broader Operations Plant to resolve day to day issues and drive process improvements front to back
- Part of the senior Baltimore leadership team with opportunities to influence site direction
Client and Stakeholder Relationships
- Establish constructive relationships within the Firm.
- Communicate in a manner consistent with the Firm's culture, values and ethics.
- Provide for the protection of the Firm's reputation.
- Regular interaction with our Business Unit partners within the Prime Brokerage Sales and Trading groups to provide day to day updates and tactical/strategic initiatives updates
- 10 years of experience in financial industry
- Strong people management skills. Experience in driving of staff progression and development.
- Skilled at stakeholder engagement, including internal Business partners and IT partners.
- Bachelor's degree required
- Conscientious in seeing issues to a thorough conclusion and to the satisfaction of all parties.
- Collaboration and teamwork skills and experience, including strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent client service and communication skills and the ability to interact with colleagues at all levels.
- Prioritization and effective time management skills.
- Problem solving through initiative and tenacity and ability to multi-task and grasp new concepts quickly.
- Ability to work under pressure and achieve results, whilst maintaining a professional, friendly and client focused approach.
- Self-motivated and resilient.
- Demonstrated change agent capability.