This position acts as a coordinator between internal and external referral sources, and acute inpatient rehab operations. The Clinical Rehabilitation Specialist is responsible for establishing relationships with case managers, physicians, payors, and other referral sources. The Clinical Rehabilitation Specialist will ensure appropriate patient placement through clinical screenings and assessments in collaboration with both hospital Case Management and the Rehab Medical Director.
The Clinical Rehabilitation Specialist works closely with hospital case management to ensure a responsive and smooth flowing referral and admission process for the inpatient acute rehab program. Position Responsibilities:
Qualifications: Position Requirements: Minimum requirements:
- Follows approved company policy and procedures. The Clinical Rehabilitation Specialist utilizes appropriate patient information sources as well as direct communications with other members of the patient's care team to identify those patients who may need acute inpatient rehabilitation services prior to returning home. The Clinical Rehabilitation Specialist will review these patients daily until they have strong clinical evidence to request a physician order for a formal pre-admission assessment for acute inpatient rehab through their assigned case manager.
- Once Case Management has completed the Patient Choice process and the patient has agreed to participate in a HCA acute rehabilitation program, the Clinical Rehabilitation Specialist will assist and coordinate the in-take and pre-admission screening process. The Clinical Rehabilitation Specialist accurately documents evidence of the patient's compliance with the established rehabilitation admission criteria on the Pre-Admissions Screening form in a timely and legible manner. Updates to the Pre-Admission Screening form are completed within 48 hours prior to admission to the acute inpatient rehab program. The Clinical Rehabilitation Specialist then provides this information to the Rehab Medical Director and responds to any question or request for additional information the Rehab Medical Director might require to make an appropriate admission decision. Admission decisions are communicated to referral source within 2 hours.
- Performs on-site and off-site review of patients in designated facilities to assist Case Management in identifying patients that could clinically benefit from rehab services.
- Performs on-site and off-site clinical evaluation to assist Rehab Medical Director in determining appropriateness of patient for admission.
- Provides information related to inpatient rehab and program features to Case Management to share with patients and family members. May provide directly to patient and family after a patient has selected HCA as rehabilitation provider.
- Communicates to patients, expectations and requirements for participation, upon admission to the rehab program. Offers each patient and family a tour of the rehab unit (or coordinates tour if unable to provide personally).
- Secures information relating to patient's resources and benefits.
- Demonstrates clinical knowledge of rehab admission criteria, leading to appropriate indentification of qualified rehab patients.
- Advises referral sources on inpatient rehab criteria.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with all referral sources.
- Completes face-to-face, in-service educational contacts with physicians, case managers, other interdisciplinary members and other professionals. Serves as educational resource to patients, family members and caregivers.
- Licensed Professional in a clinical health care specialty (i.e. RN, Physical Therapist, Occupational Therapist, or Speech Therapist).
- Current state licensure in clinical practice area or eligible for state license transfer.
- Graduate of an accredited school in clinical specialty.
- Minimum 2 years recent clinical care experience.
- Professional appearance.
- Effective verbal, written and persuasive communication skills.
- Computer and keyboarding skills (25 wpm minimum).
- Ability to work with others to ensure quality patient care.
- Organization and time management skills.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- BCLS certification (AHA)
- Pass facility credentialing for Functional Independence Measurement (FIM) within 90 days upon hire, then maintains current certification.
- If RN, CRRN preferred and / or achieve within 2 years of accepting position.
- Clinical experience in the care and management of the Inpatient Rehabilitation patient.
- Experience as a clinical liaison coordinating admissions for inpatient rehabilitation preferred.
- Persistent and persuasive when faced with challenging circumstances.
- Ability to analyze data related to referral opportunities.
- Skilled strategy planning and goal setting.
- Ability to build strong relationships with referral sources while being engaging, accountable and responsive.
- Self-directed with problem solving capability.
- Ability to navigate a medical record for determination of medical necessity for an IRF admission.
- Ability to analyze clinical data looking at diagnosis and comorbidities that will demonstrate the patients' complete medical picture.
- Experienced in speaking in medical terminology with physicians, case managers, therapists about disease states, comorbidities, and patient care.
A little about us:
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom