Cloud Services Director
Posted: December 10, 2016
Reference ID: 00001GOB
Under general direction of the designated Manager, the Director, Cloud Services role focuses on designing IT solutions that leverage the architectural roadmap and standards of ABC. This role will be especially concentrated on the strategy, architecture, and governance of converged/pre-engineered platforms, cloud solutions and data center migrations.
This role works with internal and external customers to understand business requirements and coordinates the solution build activities as well as validates that built solutions meet identified criteria and specifications as defined by the business requirements.
Individuals in this role provide overall direction, guidance, definition and facilitation for the development of an architecture (current and future state) required to meet business strategies and goals. Responsibilities include advocacy and support of the enterprise's IT strategies, identification and analysis of enterprise business drivers to derive useful business context, analysis of the current IT environment to detect critical deficiencies and recommend solutions for improvement, and the development of strategies aligning IT to business.
Architects interface across all business areas, acting as visionaries to proactively assist in defining the direction for future projects. They conceive strategies, solutions, build consensus, and sell/execute solutions. They are involved in all aspects of the project life cycle, from the initial kickoff through the requirements analysis, design and implementation. Additional responsibilities may include the establishment of the overall architectural viewpoints and the establishment and oversight of organization standards and policies. Architects identify major system interfaces, business capabilities needs, and existing architecture weaknesses and opportunities for systems.
Solution Architects partner with business analysts and engineers to define the technical requirements, principles and models that generally guide all solution decisions for the enterprise. They are responsible for analyzing and translating business, information and technical requirements into an architectural blueprint that outlines solutions that integrate across applications, systems and platforms to achieve business objectives. Solution Architects look across applications, and consider infrastructure, to develop roadmaps that outline how solutions will be structured in the future.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Leads and coordinates the strategy, governance, roadmap, product selection, and architecture of private/public/hybrid cloud services including IaaS, PaaS, and certain SaaS.
• Assists multi-disciplined engineers on the design, build, deployment and operationalization of cloud services
• Works with solutions architects and application owners on performance, availability, and security criteria for workload placement
• Assists in the selection and negotiation with technology manufacturers and service providers
• Assists to develop and update service costing, show backs, and charge backs for cloud services
• Assists to develop standard service offerings, functionality, and tiers
Data Center Migration
• Oversees internal and third party resources performing data center migration
• Leads, coordinates, and creates the strategy, governance, methodology, and architecture for the data migration process and the destination converged platform.
• Assists in the discover, mapping, and optimization of legacy environments to prepare for migration
• Assists in determining the correct target location for each workloads.
Cloud Architecture Strategy
• Leads and coordinates the domain technical and business discussions relative to future architecture direction.
• Participates in enterprise strategy development, including environmental analysis, opportunity identification, value cases and business innovation portfolio development.
• Contributes to the IT strategy and ensures alignment with architectural strategy and business goals.
Cloud Architecture Roadmap
• Responsible for analysis, design, and development of roadmaps and implementation plans based upon a current vs. future state in a cohesive architecture viewpoint.
Cloud Standards, Policies and Procedures
• Supports, develops, and communicates domain-wide policies, standards, guidelines and procedures.
• Designs standard configurations and patterns.
• Promotes the EA process, outcomes and results.
• Participates in the EA Governance process.
• Leads and facilitates the domain's architecture governance process based on EA's governance structure.
• Manages exceptions to architectural standards at a domain/portfolio level.
• Reviews and approves recommendations to architectural standards at a domain level.
• Reviews and/or analyzes and develops architectural requirements at project and portfolio level.
• Aligns architectural requirements with IT strategy.
• Assesses near-term needs to establish business priorities.
• Ensures compatibility with existing solutions, infrastructure, services, and strategic requirements.
• Identifies opportunities for reuse.
• Contributes to the development of software and data delivery platforms with reusable components that can be orchestrated together into different methods for different business.
• Coordinates architecture implementation and modification activities.
• Assists in post-implementation continuous-improvement efforts to enhance performance and provide increased functionality.
• Ensures the conceptual completeness of the technical solution.
• Works closely with project management to ensure alignment of plans with what is being delivered.
Quality & Continuous Improvements
• Analyzes the current architecture to identify weaknesses and develop opportunities for improvements.
• Identifies and when necessary, proposes variances to the architecture to accommodate project needs.
• Performs ongoing architecture quality review activities relative to specific portfolio they are responsible for.
• Provides strategic consultation to clients and IT teams.
• Advises on options, risks, costs versus benefits, system impacts, and technology priorities.
• Works with business leaders to understand business requirements and help them understand how technology tradeoffs influence strategy.
• Consults on application or infrastructure development projects to fit systems or infrastructure to the technical architecture, and identify when it is necessary to modify the technical/solution architecture to accommodate project needs.
• Consults on enterprise-facing projects and maintains knowledge of their progress.
• Keeps technology and service managers aware of key customer issues, identifying and resolving potential problems and conflicts.
• Sells the architecture process, its outcome and ongoing results.
• Develops a communication plan for architecture at the domain level.
• Leads the research and evaluation of emerging technology, industry and market trends to assist in project development and/or operational support activities.
• Considers potential impact to domain/portfolio architecture.
• Provides recommendations based on business relevance, appropriate timing and deployment.
• Identifies the tools and components used within the domain based on the enterprise toolset and can define exceptions as warranted.
• Advises on allocation of budget to meet architectural initiatives critical to business/mission success.
• Develops the business case for approval.
• Identifies organizational requirements for the resources, structures and cultural changes necessary to support initiatives.
• Collaborates with project management on project plans, tasks, resource planning, reporting project status, issues, risks and benefits.
• Meets with project management and IT Leaders to ensure progress towards architectural alignment with project goals and requirements.
• Develops, motivates, and directs staff to create a team environment.
• Provides leadership, technology guidance and mentors others throughout their domain.
Architecture Team Development
• Define the skills, competencies in the skills and talents for architecture team members.
• Performs the necessary leadership, analysis and design tasks related to the development of a solution architecture.
• Develops the solutions viewpoint, in which the business, information and technology viewpoints are synthesized into solutions that deliver capabilities to the enterprise.
• Analyzes enterprise business drivers to determine corresponding change requirements.
• Designs and leads the implementation of a solution architecture based on enterprise business requirements and IT strategies.
• Defines the principles to guide solution decisions for the enterprise.
• Coordinates solution architecture implementation and modification activities.
• Facilitates and leads the evaluation and selection of software product standards, as well as the design of standard software configurations.
• Consults with application or infrastructure development projects to fit systems or infrastructure to architecture.
• Defines repeatable rules for how to implement solutions in more repeatable or reusable ways, such as solution patterns.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Computer Engineering, System Analysis or a related field. Or equivalent work experience.
• Typically have 10-15 years of IT and business/industry work experience including architecture design and deployment, systems lifecycle management and infrastructure planning and operations.
• Requires exposure to multiple, diverse technologies and processing environments.
MINIMUM SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITY REQUIREMENTS:
• Visionary in Data Center architecture with strong experience and understanding of future roadmap and trends.
• Experience with large scale data center transformation and consolidation utilizing Converged Architecture.
• Experience with Private, Public and Hybrid Cloud providers and automation/orchestration software
• Strong understanding of Internet/IP related technologies including, but not limited to, routing, switching and sub-netting.
• Understanding of core ISP technologies such as DNS, SMTP, HTTP/S, MPLS.
• Knowledge of Fiber channel/iSCSI/SAS storage arrays. Understanding of concepts such as RAID.
• Virtualization technologies with a focus on administration, design and architecture, including automation.
• Backup and backup related technology experience.
• Experience with Disaster Recovery technologies and Disaster Recovery testing and planning and implementation of failure domains.
• Experience with load balancing and high availability technologies.
• An understanding of database technologies such as MS SQL, MySQL or Oracle.
• An understanding of Microsoft and Identity Management products such as Active Directory, DNS, ADFS, and Oracle OAM/OIM
• Experience with the following products: VCE vBlock, vRealize, ViPR, VMware, Hyper-V, Linux, Windows, Cisco networking, Exadata, Oracle, Citrix VDI, Puppet, docker, Cloud Foundry, etc.
• Experience with cloud providers like Azure, AWS, Google Compute Engine, and vCloud Air
• Experienced with automation technology: Discovery (Lakeside, RV tools, VRops, Capacity Planning) and Migration, etc.
• Demonstrated experience in a Systems Administration role (Microsoft, LINUX or VMware)
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills - able to explain complex concepts to a wide variety of individuals with varying technical skills.
• Ability to direct the formulation, definition and documenting of system architecture and objectives for assigned projects
• Solid understanding of business requirements and ability to prepare architectural specifications from which applications will be designed
• Strong leadership skills; leading matrixed projects and assigned resources.
• Good analytical, conceptual and problem solving skills to evaluate business problems and apply applications knowledge to identify appropriate solutions
• Good interpersonal skills; effective team player