Our Strategic Initiatives and Technology organization has Application Development opportunities in their Consumer Technology team to help drive IT development initiatives. Join a fast-paced and talented mainframe development team to build the next generation of The Hartford's consumer platforms. We use the latest mainframe technologies, software engineering practices and delivery methodologies. WHAT'S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Challenging on-the-job experience
- Agile software development and DevOps tool set
- Experience with the latest mainframe technologies and software engineering tools/practices
- Ongoing mentoring and feedback and exciting opportunities for career growth.
The ideal candidate will act as the principal developer for major systems and their subsystems utilizing a thorough understanding of available technologies, tools and existing designs. They will be responsible for technical delivery of complex system design and development activities for a given assignment.
- Responsibilities include:
- Collaborate with subject matter experts, various stakeholders and fellow developers to program, implement and support complex business solutions.
- Design and develop IT programs that are easily maintainable, scalable, efficient and conform to security standards.
- Provide input to tech leads to estimate work effort throughout different phases of a project.
- Assist with development of business requirements with understanding of consumer insurance.
- Interpret the technical design from architect and tech leads into IT programs.
- Define, document, and present technical specifications and architectural diagrams.
- Identify, document and communicate technical risks, issues and alternative solutions discovered during project.
- Create, document and execute unit and integration testing.
- Working in a sourced environment and working efficiently with team members across multiple geographical locations.
- Collaborate well in a team environment setting.
- Comply with The Hartford corporate methodologies and disciplines.
- Make sure the application development work is in compliance with The Hartford security policy.
- Seek coaching and mentoring from sr. developers, tech leads and manager to grow into lead roles.
- Bachelor degree or Engineering in Computer Science or related disciple with a minimum of 2 to 5 years of work experience in IT systems analysis and application program development, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Requires excellent communication skills, analytical ability, problem solving and interpersonal skills, and the ability to work effectively with business and IT management and staff.
- Knowledge of the system development life cycle and application program development alternatives.
- Self-motivation with the ability to work independently and in a team setting.
- Ability to learn and apply new technologies quickly.
- Technical aptitude and mindset to bridge across multiple mid-tier platforms and technologies.
- Critical thinking, attention to detail and ability to manage multiple high priority items in a fast paced environment with a sense of urgency as must.
- Understanding of system architecture to support web services.
- Knowledge of DevOps and Agile environment is a plus.
TECHNICAL SKILLS IN ORDER OF IMPORTANCE
- 2 Years of mainframe, COBOL and IMS development experience in data transformation and building enterprise applications including Web services.
- 1 years of Experience with DB2 database.
- Previous experience with complex data and problem analysis/resolution in complex integrated environment with technologies such as mainframe, IMS, Cobol, DB2, web services, Java,
- Knowledge of property and casualty insurance with focus on Consumer insurance si a plus.
- Experience in working with internal and external data services.
- Experience in front end web technologies a plus.
- In addition, the below skills are plus:
- Languages: COBOL, JCL, SQL, VSAM, CICS, IMS DC, TELON,C,VB,ASP.
- Tools: Topaz work bench, SonarQube, SPUFI, ENDEVOR, CHANGEMAN, FILE-MASTER, INTERTEST,WIN RUNNER, TEST DIRECTOR, STROBE, QUALITY CENTER,MCS, CA7, FILE AID, ABEND AID,ENDEVOR, MFE
- Databases: DB2, MS ACCESS, IMS DB.
Behaviors at the Hartford
- Deliver Outcomes - Demonstrate a bias for speed and execution that serves our shareholders and customers.
- Operate as a Team Player - Work together to drive solutions for the good of The Hartford.
- Build Strong Partnerships - Demonstrate integrity and build trust with others.
- Strive for Excellence - Motivate yourself and others to achieve high standards and continuously improve.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity or Expression
** NO AGENCIES PLEASE **
A little about us:
HIRING VETERANS IS A PRIORITY FOR THE HARTFORD