Reviews and evaluates hospital outpatient medical record documentation to assign, sequence, edit and/or validate the appropriate ICD-10-CM and HCPCS/CPT codes. Perform coding and/or code validation across multiple entities. Applies all appropriate coding guidelines and criteria for code selections. Adheres to Company and HSC Coding Compliance policies and procedures for the assignment of complete, accurate, timely, and consistent codes for diagnoses and procedures.
Duties (included but not limited to):
• Using ICD-10-CM and/or HCPCS/CPT, assigns, validates, and/or edits codes for the following patient types:
- o Emergency room (ED),
- o Recurring (RCR) excluding Wound Care and Cardiac Cath, and
- o Clinical (CLI) records
- o Provider Office Visit (POV)
• Assigns, validates, and/or edits the ED E/M levels, and enters and/or validates charges for ED, OB ED and/or observation (OBV) infusions and/or injections
• Assigns, validates, and/or edits procedure categories and modifiers
• Maintains or exceeds established productivity standards
• Maintains or exceeds established accuracy standards
• Reviews all official data quality standards, coding guidelines, Company policies and procedures, and clinical/medical resources to assure coding knowledge and skills remain current
• Meets all educational requirements as stated in current Company and HSC policies
• Utilizes the complete medical record documentation in code assignment, validation, and/or editing of codes
• Follows all applicable coding guidance in assigning, sequencing, validation, and/or editing of codes
• Initiates, validates, and/or edits physician queries in compliance with Company and HSC policy when appropriate
• As needed, may periodically be asked to perform Coding Account Resolution Specialist I (CARS I) duties
• Practices and adheres to the "Code of Conduct" philosophy and "Mission and Value Statement"
• Other duties as assignedQualifications:
EDUCATION High School graduate or GED equivalent required, undergraduate (associate or bachelors) degree in HIM/HIT preferred.
1-year acute care outpatient coding experience required with 3 years' healthcare experience strongly preferred.
RHIT, RHIA or CCS preferred.
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom