Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects. I. Job Summary
Researches account activity and resolves past due accounts through extensive contact with customers. II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform a variety of duties associated with improving cash flow and minimizing bad debt write-offs.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
- Initiates telephone and/or email contact with internal & external customers with amounts past due, determining reason and arranging for collection or adjustment to correct errors in accounts.
- Negotiates payment plans with customers; follows guidelines for follow-up on payment plans.
- Reviews deadlines for collection action events, initiates collection activities.
- Resolves collection disputes; makes inquiries, researches, and communicates with internal and external customers. Performs severance activities after approvals; stop service, cancellation & container removal.
- Maintains records of all delinquent accounts by logging collection notes and dispositioning the Dialer with each contact.
- Performs write-offs, processes payments and recoveries.
- Interacts with first party and third party collection agencies if necessary.
- Works with customers in bankruptcy; follows procedures for recording and monitoring bankruptcies.
- Handles telephone inquiries from customers.
- Prepares Collection Reports for Supervision as requested.
- Other duties as assigned.
This job has no supervisory duties. IV. Qualifications
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Required: High School Diploma or GED (accredited).
- Experience: One year of previous collections or customer service experience (in addition to education requirement).
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
V. Work Environment
- Basic financial skills including knowledge of commonly used collections practices and procedures.
- Proficient in working on a PC, and competent in the use of Microsoft Office. Full proficiency in Excel, Outlook and Word.
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Normal setting for this job is: office setting and/or landfill/outside. Benefits
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply."
Waste Management, Inc. is North America's leading provider of integrated environmental solutions.