Eaton’s Electrical Engineering Systems and Services Division is seeking a Commissioning Technician. The Commissioning Technician can be based anywhere in the U.S. and will be 100% travel.
Position Overview :
Eaton’s Engineering Service & Systems division wants to help you fuel your career! Eaton has the largest and most experienced team of field services technicians and engineers in the industry. This team brings extensive skills and experiences to field service engineering. Active participation in recognized technical societies such as NFPA and IEEE and collaboration with a variety of utilities and industries ensures that our technicians are knowledgeable about today’s cutting edge technology and engineering techniques. We assist customers at every stage of the power system: offering start-up and commissioning of equipment, performing planned maintenance, monitoring performance, diagnosing system problems remotely, as well as responding to emergencies on a 24/7 basis, 365 days a year. Our support services help businesses make the most of their existing electrical equipment by optimizing performance and extending the life of existing facilities.
The Power Distribution Systems organization offers career opportunities at a variety of levels representing increased scope and responsibility within the organization. The Senior Commissioning Engineer will be responsible for commissioning transmission and Distribution substations additions or modifications are installed, function, and energized correctly. This role will serve as a safety net to ensure that any errors introduced by incorrectly engineered design packages, installation errors, or equipment failures are corrected before the equipment is energized and released for service. Ultimately the Commissioning Engineer prevents errors from compromising the reliability of the T&D system and from compromising the safety of employees involved in operating or maintaining the system.
Essential Responsibilities :
• Review specification and engineering drawings to understand the purpose and functionality of substation.
• Schedule the installation and commissioning with subcontractors and customer.
• Provide safety analysis and proper equipment isolation procedure.
• Provide a day-to-day outage plan for customer.
• Develop detail test procedure and sign-off sheet for each piece of equipment.
• Monitor the construction and be available to address technical questions as they arise during construction, installation and testing.
• Identify and resolve design errors.
• Assist field crews and dispatch in developing switching to properly sequence in equipment, making sure proper hold points for testing are incorporated.
• Directly witness or perform critical tests such as DC Functional Trip Testing prior to energization and in-service
• Direct crews as necessary during critical work junctures. This typically occurs during final commission, just prior and through initial energization.
• Acknowledge substation modification is complete and functional and formally turns it over to Dispatch to be operated within its design limits.
• A Senior Commissioning Engineer is expected to support several capital projects occurring at the same time. Accordingly they rotate amongst the jobs, keeping abreast of the construction activities, reviewing test results and monitoring the work so as to anticipate any problems and gauge their level of involvement from a technical support perspective.
Near project completion, as the equipment is ready to have its control schemes functionally tested and the equipment energized is when a commissioning engineer will be required to work extended hours/days in a row at a particular job site.
• This position does not directly supervisor a crew, however they will direct field technicians from time to time on performing technical tasks as needed.
Basic Qualifications :
• Associates degree from an accredited institution AND/OR military experience required
• Minimum 3 years of substation AND/OR relay testing experience
• Legally authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship
• The position is open geography. Candidates must reside in the U.S. to be considered.
Preferred Qualifications :
• 7+ years of experience evaluating and servicing electrical distribution or control systems is desirable. Experience in testing, troubleshooting, evaluating, and servicing electrical distribution and control systems is highly desirable.
•Protection and Control experience with transmission and distribution equipment
• 3+ years of experience in protective relay testing.