The Universal Store Team (UST) builds the cloud services, platforms, and user experiences that help consumer and commercial customers buy Microsoft products and services - Windows, Xbox, Surface, Office 365, Azure, and Bing to name just a few. With true internet-scale services and state-of-the-art availability and reliability, millions of dollars flow through UST systems every day from customers in more than 240 markets around the world. The UST systems process transactions from hundreds of millions of customers daily, with workloads growing linearly as Microsoft transforms into a fully cloud-powered services and devices company. Whether renting a movie or buying a game on Xbox LIVE, purchasing an app in the Windows Store, signing up for an Office 365 subscription, or paying for Azure services, you are using the Universal Store.
If you want to help UST tell this story, we are looking for an experienced communications professional to lead our executive communications strategy and its execution. In this Redmond-based role, you will be working for the UST chief of staff and directly supporting the Corporate Vice President (CVP), Eric Lockard. You will be accountable for ensuring Microsoft executives and UST employees and key stakeholders have the information they need to understand UST’s vision, goals, committed deliverables, and how we’re progressing against them.
Skills you’ll need:
• Strong writer, strong communications sensibility, strong desire to learn and understand UST’s complex surface area and technology set - and, of course, to be able to translate this into crisp, clear narratives for diverse audiences.
• Skill set to interact with all levels of a large organization - partnering closely with internal teams across technical specialties, communications and marketing groups, product groups, business owners to identify opportunities for cross-functional story amplification.
• Fluent with variety of communications media - e-mails, presentations, blog posts, videos, posters, SharePoint/team sites/wikis, demos - and able to adapt to the form while still meeting the key goals of the CVP’s message.
• Clever program management: resourceful at prioritizing work, communicating progress, and driving regular review and completion of multiple work streams.
Your key responsibilities:
• Build the strategy and plan for how the CVP communicates with all stakeholders.
• Develop, iterate, and execute against that plan so the CVP is consistently engaging in an effective and efficient way - on the right topics, in the right way, to the right people, at the right time.
• Act as the primary author for executive communications on written content by editing and shaping content written by others, incorporating CVP’s voice and business goals into messages, and by pulling together videos of key messages, demos, etc.
• Apply a design aesthetic to create compelling content that connects with our diverse audiences - understanding (and measuring) the keys to what, why, and how communications are effective.
• Orchestrate large-scale meetings at executive level - maximizing executive capacity, facilitating efficiently, and contributing to clarity of outcomes.
• You are creative, nimble, and unflappable.
• You are a starter-finisher.
• You find ways to get things done, using your influencing skills to connect and collaborate across a highly-matrixed organization.
• You have business acumen.
• You dig in with UST leaders, understand their businesses, and enlist their sponsorship to advocate for your communications approach.
• You know how to land a message.
• You have exceptional messaging and positioning skills.
• You are ambassadorial in your approach.
• You can lead broad teams without direct authority.
• You are a pragmatic perfectionist.
• You provide exceptional attention to detail and ensure quality and clarity in all deliverables.
• You can juggle elegantly.
• You can manage multiple projects simultaneously, parse large amounts of information, and drive strong work back plans with clear milestones and clearer delivery deadlines.
• You have situational awareness.
• You understand how to adjust to the voice of the CVP to the situation.
• You are comfortable speaking truth to power.
• You are unafraid to make suggestions to the CVP, to push him and his directs to communicate to plan, to drive for value.
• You are curious.
• Your mindset must be that of someone willing to take on a big challenge with significant growth potential.
• You like to dive in and understand technical concepts across wide breadth of areas and business strategies, and then help communicate those ideas to people who know them well and those that don’t.
• You are a systems thinker.
• You can identify opportunities and alternatives and influence a large team to execute on them.
• You have a passion and talent for the art of communications.
• You have a strong sense of story, writing is a superpower, you can do a bit of Photoshop, a smattering of video production, and you know a good show flow when you see one.
• You are discreet, showing the utmost discretion in the management of confidential corporate information.
• 5+ years in program management, communications management, or technical writing
• BS/BA degree
• 3+ years in managing multiple projects simultaneously amid ambiguity and without direction, and to forge partnerships and drive for results at all levels of Microsoft.
• MBA preferred.
If you think you’re a fit for most of what’s above, and if your focus is on getting things done, simplifying, and having a good time doing it, then we’d really like to meet you.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
A little about us:
Microsoft offers training and employment opportunities to help you turn your military experience and skills into a civilian technology career.