Interested in becoming a leading voice on and advocate for Microsoft’s technology brand both inside and outside of the company? The office of the CTO is seeking a communications person to join our team with a goal of inspiring change in the industry, as well as within Microsoft. This person will be responsible for building and driving communications programs aligned with the priorities of the office of the CTO. The focus will be on strengthening Microsoft’s reputation with developers, articulating Microsoft’s technology vision and over the long-term building hope and trust in technology as a way to solve challenges facing society. This individual will handle a diverse set of internal and external communications work. On the internal side, they will work to reach, engage and inspire Microsoft employees in technical roles. On the external side, they will work with teams across Microsoft to amplify news/announcements, establish the role of the CTO and up-level Kevin Scott’s profile as an expert voice with developers and the technology industry. This is a great opportunity if you are passionate about building new programs, able to be nimble in a small team environment and comfortable working closely with technology leaders across the company.
Our Team The office of the CTO is a small team that focuses on inspiring engineers and technology leaders. We put a focus on getting things done, simplifying, and having fun doing it.
What you’ll do Independently:
• Own the development of proactive internal communications programs to build a common understanding of technical challenges and opportunities across senior technical leaders at Microsoft.
• Build an understanding of internal communications needs that will include identifying, seeking out, filtering and prioritizing internal communications opportunities on behalf of the CTO.
• Partner closely with internal teams across technical organizations, communications, marketing, product and more to identify opportunities for cross-functional collaboration and story amplification.
• Create a clearly defined communications platform for the CTO that keeps a focus on identified priorities.
• Build strong relationships with and provide expert council to cross-functional internal teams and partners on communications strategy and execution.
• Build the strategy and plan for how we communicate. You prioritize work, communicate progress and drive regular review with a variety of stakeholders.
• Create a results-oriented body of work where decisions are supported by a deep understanding of internal priorities, industry trends, developer insights and measurement of results.
• Ability to interact with all levels of the organization; must be able to articulate a vision and develop and deliver supporting communications plan.
• Creative, nimble, and unflappable. You find ways to get things done - using your influencing skills across a highly matrixed organization.
• Experience collaborating across variety of management levels, including executive management.
• Strong technical knowledge and expertise, and a firm understanding of the developer audience.
• 5+ years internal and/or external communications experience
• BS/BA degree, MBA Preferred
• Has mastered key aspects of communications strategies and tactics
• Experience with technical communications and comfort working with a developer audience
• Demonstrated ability to think strategically, execute effectively, work under deadline pressure and manage multiple projects
• Proven effectiveness in working within a large company to gain commitment and support for projects and initiatives
• Experienced in managing multiple projects simultaneously amid ambiguity and without direction, and to forge partnerships and drive for results at all levels of Microsoft
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A little about us:
Microsoft offers training and employment opportunities to help you turn your military experience and skills into a civilian technology career.