This position is responsible for consulting with clients on compensation issues in conjunction with the Lead Compensation Partner(s) and supporting a variety of broader Compensation & Total Rewards activities.
25% Partner with HR Business Partners and the business to understand and support their business objectives by providing analytical support, counseling, and expert compensation advice for their functional areas, and working with the Lead Compensation Partner, as appropriate.
15% Evaluate and provide recommendations on job leveling requests for new roles being created within the organization.
20% Assess and provide compensation recommendations for job offers extended within specific functions, including salary, sign-ons and equity buy-outs. Ensure recommendations are aligned to Shire's compensation pay philosophy.
20% Participate in annual Compensation processes, including year-end process, survey participation, employee education sessions, and review and development of Compensation communications. Ensure connection between these processes and HRBPs and client groups.
20% Participate in broad-based Compensation projects and initiatives, such as re-design of current compensation programs or design of new programs. May lead smaller projects for the team and/or work streams in larger projects.
College degree and 5+ years of experience in compensation, or equivalent
combination of education and experience.
• Preference for MBA and/or quantitative degree
• Achievement (or working towards) Certified Compensation Professional (CCP)
designation or similar Total Rewards-specific qualification preferred
• Experience working in life sciences industry, preferred
Strong communication and consulting skills; experience in developing creative
solutions to meet business needs:
• Strong relationship-building and collaboration skills. Experience working in a matrix
or collaborative environment. Strong influencing skills.
• Strong presentation skills and ability to articulate complex concepts in a simple way.
• Strong analytical skills.
• Project management and organizational skills.
• Ability to use Excel to a very high standard and summarize data in a way that allows
you to effectively frame a business case or recommendation to solve for an issue or
• Business acumen and knowledge of the life sciences industry, preferred.
• Effective time management and prioritization skills to coordinate multiple projects in
• Ability to maintain highly confidential information
Complexity and Problem Solving:
• Provides solutions to resolve issues of moderate scope & complexity that require an
evaluation of various factors
• Work is largely performed without direction; more complex or sensitive work will
typically be discussed with the Compensation Lead, Corporate Functions and
• Participates in determining objectives of assignment; plans, schedules and arranges
own activities in accomplishing objectives; work is reviewed for adequacy in meeting
• Contributes to the development of new concepts, techniques, and standards.
Ability to occasionally (less than 15% of time) travel domestically and internationally
A little about us:
At Shire, we help people with rare diseases and specialized conditions live their lives to the fullest.