At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $30 billion in sales, our 90,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
3M has a long-standing reputation as a company committed to innovation. We provide the freedom to explore and encourage curiosity and creativity. We gain new insight from diverse thinking, and take risks on new ideas.
Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.Job Description:3M is seeking an experienced investigator to handle investigations globally for the Compliance and Business Conduct group located in Maplewood, Minnesota. At 3M, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter. Here, you go.Job Summary:
The Compliance Counsel - Investigations will lead and manage Compliance and Business Conduct (C&BC) department investigations, conduct training, and provide counsel and other support to the C&BC program as is necessary and appropriate. This role will require alignment with, and direction from 3M headquarters and the creativity, cultural sensitivity, and a measure of judgment necessary to maintain the C&BC investigative program's effectiveness globally. The selected candidate will work collaboratively with functional colleagues in Corporate Security, Auditing, Human Resources, and Legal Affairs, both in the United States and international areas. Primary Responsibilities
include, but are not limited to:
- At the direction of 3M internal or external counsel, providing comprehensive investigative services in a variety of compliance areas, guided by strong familiarity with 3M business conduct principles and knowledge of other substantive compliance related laws, including the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, False Claims Act, United Kingdom Bribery Act, Dodd-Frank, and anti-corruption laws of other countries.
- Under the direction of C&BC Sr. Counsel, Investigations, conduct investigations globally.
- Collaborating with the C&BC Sr. Counsel for investigations, the C&BC Area Compliance Leader, and functional partners (3M Legal Affairs, Corporate Security, Audit, Finance, Human Resources and others) to develop appropriate investigative strategies.
- Assisting inside and outside counsel; guiding 3M paralegal(s) and compliance specialists in compliance investigations; managing document preservation, collection, search, review, and production; conducting interviews and issuing high level interview and investigative reports; participating with internal and external investigative teams.
- Distributing business conduct and compliance messages and provide guidance and training, as needed.
- Assisting and supporting the C&BC subsidiary compliance evaluation program.
- Reviewing outside counsel and other vendor bills for compliance with corporate billing policies. Reviewing bills for outside vendors, and where appropriate, reduce or adjust bills and approve expenditures for work performed by outside vendors. Working with others to make decisions concerning budgeting objectives and resource allocation, manage budget.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited university
- JD (Juris Doctorate) from an ABA-accredited law school
- Minimum of one (1) year law firm and/or in-house experience, including investigation experience
- Minimum of five (5) years law firm and/or in-house experience, including investigation experience
- Strong reputation for integrity
- Fluency in a language other than English
- Knowledge of and/or experience with compliance programs, concepts and requirements
- Demonstrated ability to perform successfully in various geographies and cultures and manage by influence
- Demonstrable experience in investigation or prosecution of crimes as part of a state or national criminal justice system. Background experience should include financial crimes, interviewing, testimony, and report writing
- Understanding of, and experience with, business environments, contracting, and bidding processes
- Compliance experience at a multinational organization
- Collaborative and inclusive style and demonstrated ability to build teams and relationships, particularly in a multi-cultural environment
- Knowledge base and stature to deliver advice in a manner that is respected and valued by business and staff group leaders and other stakeholders
- Experience in communicating and relating to all levels of an organization including business line leaders, regional heads, and senior management
- Ability to define and enforce standards where necessary in a persuasive and winning manner
- Ability to balance business partnerships with the need to exercise independent judgment and to raise potentially sensitive or contentious issues in a timely and constructive manner
- Strong oral and written communication skills
: Maplewood, MinnesotaTravel:
May include up to 33% domestic/internationalRelocation:
Responsibilities of this position may include direct and/or indirect physical or logical access to information, systems, technologies subjected to the regulations/compliance with U.S. Export Control Laws.
U.S. Export Control laws and U.S. Government Department of Defense contracts and sub-contracts impose certain restrictions on companies and their ability to share export-controlled and other technology and services with certain "non-U.S. persons" (persons who are not U.S. citizens or nationals, lawful permanent residents of the U.S., refugees, "Temporary Residents" (granted Amnesty or Special Agricultural Worker provisions), or persons granted asylum (but excluding persons in nonimmigrant status such as H-1B, L-1, F-1, etc.) or non-U.S. citizens.
To comply with these laws, and in conjunction with the review of candidates for those positions within 3M that may present access to export controlled technical data, 3M must assess employees' U.S. person status, as well as citizenship(s).
The questions asked in this application are intended to assess this and will be used for evaluation purposes only. Failure to provide the necessary information in this regard will result in our inability to consider you further for this particular position. The decision whether or not to file or pursue an export license application is at 3M Company's sole election.
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status)
Learn more about 3M's creative solutions to the world's problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M or @3MNewsroom.
Please access the linked document by clicking here , select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.
Innovation is a way of life at 3M. We solve problems by applying creativity, team work and ingenuity to improve life for millions of people worldwide.