Compliance Senior Manager
Posted: January 12, 2017
Reference ID: R-30970
This position within Amgen's Worldwide Compliance & Business Ethics function focuses on the internal control framework including investigations, monitoring and risk assessment/mitigation. The Compliance Senior Manager is responsible for leading/conducting triage and investigation activities within Amgen's Intercontinental region (Canada, Mexico, Central America and South America).
Includes responsibilities for compliance investigations involving alleged bribery, corruption, healthcare compliance violations and similar high risk areas. This role will also include responsibility for monitoring transactions and activities, as well as analyzing data sets and signals for risk assessment purpose. May also include some U.S.-focused compliance investigation work.
• Leading a cross-functional team to triage and track all reports of potential noncompliance
• Conducting investigations, including interviewing witnesses, gathering and analyzing records, reaching conclusions and, as needed, conducting a root cause analysis to ensure appropriate corrective action is identified
• Overseeing, and coordinating the activities of, third parties that conduct investigations on behalf of Amgen (such as outside counsel or external investigative services firms)
• Preparing written summaries, preparing reports and conducting briefings with the Chief Compliance Officer and/or Compliance and Intercontinental region management
• Conducting regular monitoring of healthcare professional-related transactions
• Analyzing investigations, monitoring, audit, and other data sets to identify risk areas and signals
• Identifying and helping to implement continuous improvement opportunities for the Compliance program within Amgen's Intercontinental region
40% international travel
Doctorate degree and 2 years of Compliance, Legal or Regulatory experience
Master's degree and 4 years of Compliance, Legal or Regulatory experience
Bachelor's degree and 6 years of Compliance, Legal or Regulatory experience
Associate's degree and 10 years of Compliance, Legal or Regulatory experience
High school diploma / GED and 12 years of Compliance, Legal or Regulatory experience
5+ years of progressively responsible experience in internal investigations, monitoring, audit, and compliance risk assessment experience. Combination of investigations, monitoring, audit and risk assessment experience, some of which included bribery, corruption, healthcare compliance, fraud and/or white collar investigations in a government, law firm and/or corporate setting outside the U.S.
Global experience in the ethics and compliance area; familiarity with U.S. and Intercontinental region anti-corruption laws and enforcement; experience with publicly traded multinational companies in the life sciences industry.
Excellent verbal and written English communication skills. Able to communicate effectively in both written and oral formats to perform the functions listed above, and to document appropriately. Relevant additional language skills (Spanish and/or Portuguese).
Ability to interact well and collaborate with other corporate groups (such as legal and human resources staff), as well as all levels of management.
Demonstrate temperament, objectivity and approach that will facilitate effective interactions with witnesses in order to further Amgen's ultimate goal of encouraging reporting of concerns by staff and management.
Strong time management, organizational and follow-through skills are critical.
Able to work independently with minimal oversight at times. Ability to work on several investigations simultaneously.
Prior audit, finance, accounting or legal training.
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering innovative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.
Amgen focuses on areas of high unmet medical need and leverages its expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve people's lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be one of the world's leading independent biotechnology companies, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.