Basic Qualifications / Minimum Requirements:
• MS, PhD or equivalent with relevant experience in a Computational Science
• Evidence of a broad knowledge of computational sciences which will include a deep knowledge of one or more areas of machine learning
• Evidence of identifying, developing, and applying innovative solutions to scientific and technological problems faced in the Life Sciences
• Demonstrated ability to build, apply, and evaluate the results of robust statistical models from large scientific data sets
• Demonstrated ability to utilize computer programming and scripting languages such as R, C/C++, Python or Java.
• Evidence of strong critical thinking skills
• Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to interact effectively with scientists in other disciplines with a positive, collegial, collaborative attitude
Preferred Qualifications / Desired Skills/Qualifications:
• Demonstrated skills in building Quantitative Structure Activity Relationship (QSAR) models.
• Demonstrated skills to programmatically collect, combine, mine and analyze complex biological and chemical data
• Experience with chemical toolkits such as ChemAxon, OEChem or RDkit
• Experience with scientific pipelining tools such as Pipeline Pilot or Knime.
• Knowledge of medicinal chemistry
The Computational and Modeling Sciences Department (CMS) generates and applies computational models across the drug discovery pipeline from lead discovery to late stage development. As part of CMS, the Molecular Design group works closely with multidisciplinary drug discovery teams, applying computational approaches combined with knowledge of chemistry, biology, and the drug discovery/development process to facilitate the identification, prioritization and progression of bioactive agents. We have a need for a scientist with deep expertise in modern machine learning techniques, informatics, and their application to the discovery of medicines.
Our scientists are responsible for generating testable hypotheses that drive discovery programs, extracting and analyzing decision-making data associated with molecular structure and building predictive models based on such data. The successful candidate will work collaboratively with other team members to ensure that work is aligned with strategic priorities, and seek out new opportunities for impact of modeling methodologies on drug discovery at GSK.
• Use machine learning to build predictive models for application in drug discovery programs
• Develop automated capabilities which enable the application of machine learning across the discovery portfolio, from small molecules to biopharmaceuticals.
• Be an expert resource and consultant for other members of the Molecular Design department
• Prepare and present results to internal and external groups
• Work with others within a matrix organization
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK HR Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
A little about us:
We are a science-led global healthcare company on a mission to help people to do more, feel better and live longer.